2019-10-30 Kashrus Alerts PDF available for download.
CHAZZANO COFFEE ROASTERS Café in Ferndale, Michigan is certified by the Council of Orthodox Rabbis of Greater Detroit as follows:
• All packaged coffee beans and grounds are Pareve.
• Served coffee/tea may be prepared on dairy equipment. For Pareve, the customer can request that coffee/tea should be served in a disposable cup and stirred with a disposable spoon.
• Creamers may be Dairy.
• Cholov Yisroel status of milk is not under supervision.
MAZAL TOV RESTAURANT in Windsor, Ontario is no longer under supervision of the Council of Orthodox Rabbis.
LIEBER’S SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Some bags were found to contain mini, light-colored chips mixed with the regular chocolate chips. These are Kosher pareve coffee chips that were packed in the bag due to an error in production.
CHEF’S QUALITY SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE DROPS with OU Pareve certification is no longer available at Restaurant Depot. This product has been replaced with Chef’s Quality Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, which is certified OU-D and lists butterfat.
HIDDEN VALLEY ORIGINAL RANCH SEASONING & SALAD DRESSING MIX in an 8 oz. shaker container mistakenly bears a plain OU without a D. This product is in fact dairy and lists buttermilk in the ingredients.
LILLY’S BABKA and RUGELACH with an OU:
• Only packages stating “Pas Yisroel” on the label should be considered Pas Yisroel.
• These products are not Yoshon. Labels that state Yoshon are in error.
MASSIMO GUSTO and other brands of OILS & VINEGAR from BMA USA, Inc.:
• Various products bear an unauthorized Heart-K Kosher symbol. [“Heart-K” is a division of OK Kosher.] BMA USA has not been certified by OK Kosher since November 2017.
• Massimo Gusto Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil bears an unauthorized Star-K P. It is not certified Kosher or Kosher for Passover by the Star-K.
All iBAKE products, including FILO DOUGH, KATAFI and BAKLAVA, are no longer under Kof-K Kosher Supervision as of September 27, 2019, even when bearing the Kof-K symbol.
MICHIGAN APPLE RECALL: Six types of fresh Michigan apples that state on the bag “Distributed by North Bay Produce, Inc., Traverse City, MI”, that were shipped between October 16 – October 21, have been recalled due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. Details are available at 231-929-4001 or www.northbayproduce.com .
Specific lots of KING ARTHUR UNBLEACHED ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR (5 lb. & 25lb.) and ROBIN HOOD ALL PURPOSE FLOUR (5 lb) have been recalled due to possible E. coli 026 contamination. Details are available, respectively, at 866- 797-9178 or https://www.kingarthurflour.com/voluntaryrecall , and at 888-569-6728 or https://www.robinhood.ca/En/Contact-Us . The FDA and CDC remind consumers that flour is not a “ready to eat” ingredient. Flour is made from wheat that is grown outdoors where bacteria are often present, and flour is typically not treated to kill bacteria during the normal milling process. Anything made with flour must be cooked or baked before eating. Salmonella is killed by heat through baking, frying, sautéing or boiling products made with flour. All surfaces, hands and utensils should be properly cleaned after contact with flour or dough.
Specific lots of PRESIDENT’S CHOICE, PARENT’S CHOICE, and KIRKLAND SIGNATURE brands of MILK-BASED POWDERED INFANT FORMULA FOR BABIES SENSITIVE TO LACTOSE, all sold in Canada, have been recalled due to possible Cronobacter spp. contamination. Details are available at 800-442-2342 or https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the- cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/eng/1299076382077/1299076493846 .