י”ב ניסן תש”פ
April 6, 2020
Due to logistic and health reasons, the Vaad was unfortunately not able to provide a romaine lettuce checking service this year. The following are some guidelines for those who are unable to obtain certified pre-checked romaine lettuce and are not equipped or familiar with the “thrip-cloth method”.
As a general rule the stalks are much easier to clean than the leafy part of the lettuce. Simply rip off the leafy parts and soak the stalks in a soapy solution. Run the stalks under a stream of water while running up and down with your thumb. No further checking required.
For those that still wish to use the leaves as usual – extra care must be taken to wash the leaves very well with soapy water. A sponge or brush should then be used to scrub each leaf separately making sure to reach all cracks and crevices. Rinse very well. No further checking required. This method is less preferred than using stalks.
• Romaine hearts have less bugs than whole heads.
• Organic lettuce should not be used.
• These guidelines are for this year only and should not be relied upon for other years.
• When using stalks, a k’zayis is enough to fill a 3” x 5” area or enough to displace 1 fl oz of water (2-4 stalks). When using leaves, a k’zayis is enough to fill a 8” x 10” area or enough to displace 1 fl oz of water.
• Each person needs 1 k’zayis for marror and 1 k’zayis for korech.
• 4 k’zaysim per person will satisfy your needs for both Sedorim.