K-COR Kosher Alerts
Older alerts can be found in the archives.
CHOMETZ may be purchased immediately after Pesach at the following stores in the Detroit area, except for Dunkin Donuts (10 & Greenfield) where chometz should not be bought until 10:20 PM, due to the Halachic requirement of “bichdei sh’yaasu”.
Busch’s Fresh Food Market
Dollar Tree Stores
Family Dollar Stores
GFS (Gordon Food Service)
Kroger [Detroit area]
Lincoln Rx Pharmacy
Superior Kosher Meats
It is advisable to wait two weeks after Pesach (May 8) before buying “pure” chometz products (e.g., bread, grain cereals, pasta, cookies and pretzels) at Jewish-owned stores that do not observe Pesach, even if they made a Mechiras Chometz before Pesach, due to the possibility that new chometz was received during Pesach. This includes Restaurant Depot and Natural Food Patch. It is permitted to purchase most other products immediately after Pesach, including pearled raw barley, dry cake mixes, flour (without malted barley), glue, all kitniyos, ketchup, mayonnaise, medicines, mustard, vinegar, vitamin tablets, baker’s yeast, and yeast extract.
PACKAGES OF THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS WITHOUT PESACH MARKING were mistakenly placed in the Pesach section at The Grove. Check every label of your purchases for Pesach marking:
- SHUFRA REAL CHOCOLATE CHIPS – some non-Pesach bags (“48% Cacao”) may have been mixed with the Pesach-marked bags (“55% Cacao”).
- NATURAL & KOSHER ITALIAN COLLECTION FRESH MOZZARELLA CHEESE
- TUV TAAM BEETS & HORSERADISH – EXTRA STRONG
- CAMILLE BLOCH – NO SUGAR ADDED – SWISS MILK CHOCOLATE
- DOLE CREAMY COLESLAW KIT mistakenly bears an OK-P symbol on some bags. While the cabbage/salad is approved for Pesach, the enclosed sealed dressing packet is not approved for Pesach.
- 1800 brand TEQUILA PRODUCTS bear an unauthorized OK-Psymbol on some bottles. This company and its products are not certified by OK Kosher Certification.
YODER’S ORANGE JUICE in 52 oz. bottles with a plain OU, that have the letters KFP in the ink jet code on the bottle below the Best By date, are Kosher for Pesach.
DOLE ANGEL HAIR COLESLAW: On some bags, the P for Pesach is before the date, instead of the usual location next to the OK symbol; these bags are certified for Pesach.
The AM FRESH NORTH AMERICA GRAPEFRUIT currently being sold at Costco locally are produce of Israel, as stated on the plastic bag closures, and as stated on the cases (“Jaffa / Mehadrin – Israel”), and require taking of Terumos and Maaseros. They are not Shemitah produce at this time, and will not be until August 2022.
SNAPPLE FRUIT PUNCH mistakenly bears an OK symbol on some 32 oz. bottles. This product contains grape juice and is not certified Kosher.
Remember – check every label for Pesach certification!
We wish all our readers a Chag Kosher V’Sameach
THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS were for a brief time mistakenly placed in the Pesach section at The Grove Kosher Market. Please check every label of your purchases:
- MEHADRIN GREEK CHEESE SNACK is made in both Pesach and non-Pesach versions. Some non-Pesach packages were mistakenly placed in the Pesach section.
- SEASON SARDINES require an OU-P for Pesach. Some plain OU cans were mistakenly in the Pesach section.
- LA BONNE SOY SAUCE and LA BONNE TERIYAKI SAUCE with Kitniyos certification were mistakenly in the Pesach section, instead of in the separate Kitniyos section.
- LIEBER’S WHITE TRUFFLE OIL and LIEBER’S BLACK TRUFFLE OIL mistakenly state Kosher for Pesach; they are not certified for Pesach. This applies also to last year’s product.
- “SIMPLY POPCORN” POPCORN IN BAGS from New England Pretzel & Popcorn Co. is not an OU certified product. Some bags bear an unauthorized OU-P symbol.
- SONNY & JOE’S HUMMUS in 30 lb. containers are certified OU Kitniyot. Some containers were mistakenly labeled with an OU-P symbol.
- SYSCO ALL PURPOSE H&R FLOUR bears an unauthorized OU-P symbol on some 50 lb. bags.
BABY / CHILDREN PRODUCTS:. For the convenience of our readers, we list here a summary of some commonly used Baby / Children products approved for Pesach by Rabbi Bess and Star-K or other reliable sources:
Advil Children’s Junior Strength Coated Tablets
Advil Children’s Suspension – all flavors
Advil Infants’ Drops – Grape
Bayer Children’s Aspirin
Benadryl Children’s Allergy liquid and Dye-Free liquid – all flavors
Benadryl Children’s Allergy chewable tablets – Grape
Kosher-Meds Children’s Ibuprofen Suspension – Berry Flavor – OU
Motrin Children’s Suspension – all flavors
Motrin Infants’ Drops – all flavors
Sudafed PE Children’s Nasal Decongestant – Berry
Sudafed PE Children’s Cold & Cough – Grape
Tylenol Children’s Cold + Cough + Runny Nose liquid
Tylenol Children’s Cold + Cough + Sore Throat liquid
Tylenol Children’s Suspension – all flavors
Tylenol Infants’ Suspension – all flavors
Remember – check every label for Pesach certification!
We wish all our readers a Chag Kosher V’Sameach
The Vaad Harabbonim presents the online PesachGram.
The PesachGram may take a moment to load and appear. Click on the bottom icon on left of frame for fullscreen.
A PDF version of the PesachGram is also available for view and download:
THE FOLLOWING NEW SODAS / DRINKS ARE KOSHER, even without any Kashrus symbol:
- NITRO PEPSI DRAFT COLA and NITRO PEPSI VANILLA DRAFT COLA
- MOUNTAIN DEW SPARK – regular and Zero Sugar
- MOUNTAIN DEW GINGERBREAD SNAP’D
- PEPSI-COLA SODA SHOP CREAM SODA COLA and PEPSI-COLA SODA SHOP BLACK CHERRY COLA
- BRISK ICED TEA – BLOOD ORANGE
COCA-COLA STARLIGHT – regular and Zero Sugar – is Kosher and bears an OU on the bottle cap or engraved into the can lid.
NEW SLURPEE SYRUPS: [This information is for the benefit of Kashrus Supervisors and consumers who inspect, with permission of store management, the labels on the 2.5 / 5 gal. bag-in-boxes of syrups in the back of the store, which feed the Slurpee machines. The flavor cards posted on the Slurpee machines in front cannot be relied upon to determine the Kosher status of the Slurpee, because they often do not correspond with the brand and variety of the syrup that is actually feeding the machine.]
The following new Slurpee FCB syrups are Kosher and pareve:
- BRISK ICED TEA – BLOOD ORANGE FCB (no symbol required) • FANTA TIGER’S BLOOD FCB (no symbol required)
ALDI frequently changes suppliers for its store brands [private label] products, which are sold under such names as Baker’s Corner, Benton’s, Burman’s, Carlini, Clancy’s, Countryside Creamery, Friendly Farms, Little Salad Bar, Millville, and others. The Kashrus status of these products can therefore change from week to week; and even at the same time, there may be a mixture of seemingly identical products on the shelf, some with acceptable Kashrus certification and some without, or some pareve and some dairy. Carefully check each individual item for proper Kashrus marking.
Following are two recent changes in the Detroit area. (Other regions of the U.S. may differ.)
- FRIENDLY FARMS ORIGINAL YOGURT – 6 oz., in various fruit flavors: Previously had an OU-D [plant # 36-1287]. Now has a K [plant # 34-865] and contains unacceptable gelatin.
- FRIENDLY FARMS ALMOND MILK previously had a plain OU [plant # JP]. Now has an OU-D, due to Dairy Equipment [plant # 18-388].
PREWASHED BRANDS OF ICEBERG LETTUCE SALADS that normally bear Kosher certification, such as Fresh Express [Star-K], Dole [OK], and Kroger, Aldi’s Little Salad Bar and Walmart’s Marketside store brands [OK], may be appearing without Kosher marking during the next few weeks, due to increased infestation levels in the growing areas. Cabbage / coleslaw products may also be affected. Carefully check each bag for the Kosher symbol.
KEMACH SPLIT PEA SOUP MIX with expiration date 11232023 needs to be checked for possible infestation. Dead insects resemble small, black round dirt particles. A bag that has black specks should not be used. [Rabbi Nussen N. Horowitz]
CALIFORNIA DELIGHT RICE NOODLES with lot code 0781 has been found to be infested and should not be used. It can be returned for a full refund. [Star-K]
B&G GHERKINS have been found to contain insect infestation in jars with the following lot codes (printed on the side of the lid); these jars should not be used: #25021- Best By Feb 25 2023; #09031- Best By Mar 09 2023; #24061- Best By Jun 24 2023. Consumers with other lots are advised to slice open each gherkin to check for possible infestation. Anyone discovering infestation in a lot not listed above is requested to immediately contact email@example.com and share the lot number and Best By information noted on the lid. Attaching a photograph would also be very helpful. [Star-K]
ARNOLD WHOLE GRAINS HEALTHY MULTI-GRAIN BREAD is certified as an OU-DE [Dairy equipment] product. Some bags are missing the OU-DE symbol, but they are nevertheless OU-DE certified. This may not be eaten at a meat meal.
WELLSLEY FARMS frozen BLUEBERRY WAFFLES and CHOCOLATE CHIP WAFFLES sold at BJ’s contain dairy ingredients and are certified OU-D. Some packages mistakenly bear a plain OU without the D.
FUNABLES FRUITY SNACKS / KEEBLER FUDGE STRIPES COOKIES TREAT MIX (sold locally at Dollar Tree, and possibly bought for Mishloach Manos) mistakenly bears an OK-D on some packages. While the Keebler cookies are Kosher Dairy, the Funables candies are not Kosher.
THEO’S FETA CHEESE bears an unauthorized OU symbol on some packages. If you see such packages in the marketplace, please provide details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
REDPATH ICING SUGAR, sold in Canada, mistakenly bears a COR-P. This product contains corn starch and is not Kosher for Pesach.
SOME LIQUOR COMPANIES ARE JEWISH OWNED and do not sell their chometz, and their products, including a number of varieties of American Whiskey, Canadian Whisky, Bourbon, Rye and Scotch, are therefore not permitted due to chometz she’ovar olov haPesach. An extensive list is available on the cRc [Chicago Rabbinical Council] website at https://www.crcweb.org/LiquorList.pdf . Following are a few examples of common liquors on that list (see details there):
Trader Joe’s – Kentucky Bourbon Straight Whiskey
Kirkland Signature – Barton 1792 Master Distillers Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Buffalo Trace – Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey – Unflavored
Royal Canadian – Unflavored
New Riff – Bourbon, Rye
REPACKAGED MEAT AND POULTRY: When purchasing meat and poultry, be sure to check that the original packaging and labeling from the Kosher supplier are intact. Recently at a Costco store, next to the Empire Kosher chickens that were in their original packaging, there were other packages that were marked as Kosher on the Costco label, but were not in their original Empire packaging. Following is the OU’s response to this:
Please be advised that the OU can only stand behind product sealed in its original packaging. Any product which has been opened or repackaged should not be assumed kosher. Even if the original packaging was presented alongside the repackaged, the OU would recommend that it not be accepted.
If the Costco store chose to declare the product kosher, this is their own claim. The OU would not corroborate that.
ANISAKIS WORMS IN FISH: The Halachic status of anisakis worms that are found in the flesh of many types of fish, is a matter of much dispute among the Poskim. Many American Kashrus certifications, including the Vaad Harabbonim / Council of Orthodox Rabbis of Greater Detroit, allow these fish. Consult your Rav for guidance. For those who wish to avoid this issue, a list that details which types of fish are affected is available on the COR website at http://cordetroit.com/k-cor/lists-and-guides/
COUNTRYSIDE CREAMERY “TASTES LIKE BUTTER!” 40% VEGETABLE OIL SPREAD and COUNTRYSIDE CREAMERY “COUNTRY RECIPE HOMESTYLE SPREAD” 40% VEGETABLE OIL SPREAD sold at Aldi – Clarification from the OU: These products in rectangular containers that bear a plain OU and do not list dairy ingredients are pareve. – Please note that different versions of these products with an OU-D are available in some regions, and they may contain dairy.
BAKER’S CORNER KETO ALL-PURPOSE BAKING MIX sold at Aldi contains milk ingredients, but mistakenly bears a plain Kof-K symbol without the Dairy designation.
BURMAN’S YELLOW MUSTARD sold at Aldi is made in two versions. The “Classic” version, which is currently being sold locally, does not bear Kashrus certification. The “Traditional” version, which may be available in some regions, bears an OU. Check each container carefully.
KLEIN’S NATURALS DRIED MANGO in 25 lb. cases with Lot # 005, 10 lb. cases with Lot # 306968, and 2.5 lb. bags with Lot # C284, have been found to be infested and should not be used. Klein’s retail size bags were checked and found to be free of infestation.
YAMA MOTO YAMA ORIGINAL ROASTED SUSHI NORI SEAWEED – 30 sheet bags with Kof-K symbol: The Kof-K has announced that additional inspection for infestation is required for the following “Best Before” codes (located on the back of the bag): 07 02 2023 A , 21 01 2023 A , and 25 01 2023 A . [Note: Checking nori is difficult and is not recommended for the average untrained consumer.]
THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS BEAR AN UNAUTHORIZED KOSHER SYMBOL:
- SKY KOSHER EVENTS featured an unauthorized OU symbol on some marketing materials for “Passover in Dubai”.
- GRUBHUB.COM, SEAMLESS.COM and associated mobile apps are displaying an unauthorized OK Kosher symbol.
ALEIA’S GLUTEN FREE FOODS: EarthKosher Kosher Certification has announced that effective immediately, all Gluten Free baked goods produced by Aleia’s Gluten Free Bakery in Branford CT, should not be used even when bearing the EarthKosher symbol.
SIMILAC, ELECARE AND ALIMENTUM POWDER INFANT FORMULAS manufactured in Abbott Nutrition’s Sturgis, Michigan plant, and sold in many countries, including Israel, have been recalled due to potential contamination with Cronobacter sakazakii or Salmonella Newport, which can cause severe, life-threatening infections in infants. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/food/outbreaks-foodborne-illness/fda-investigation-cronobacter-and-salmonella-complaints-powdered-infant-formula-february-2022 or 800-986-8540.
ROYAL ICE CREAM, GIFFORD’S and other brands of ice cream products that bear manufacturing plant number “CT#121” have been recalled due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/royal-ice-cream-company-inc-expands-recall-all-products-within-expiry-because-possible-health-risk or 860-649-5358.
POMEGRANATES FROM ISRAEL are being sold in the U.S., and require taking of Terumos and Maaseros. (They are not Shemitah produce at this time, and will not be until July 2022.) Check the sticker or original case for the country of origin. – We have reason to believe that the pomegranates currently being sold at Westborn Market in Berkley, that do not list any country of origin on their stickers, are from Israel.
GREENFIELD NOODLE CO. has exhausted its stock of Yoshon flour, and is now using Chodosh flour. Chodosh product will not state “Yoshon” next to the expiration date.
LAFFY TAFFY LAFF BITES: Although most Laffy Taffy candies are OU certified, Laffy Taffy Laff Bites contain gelatin and are not OU certified, and do not bear an OU symbol. A Candy Favorites website that lists them as Kosher is incorrect.
ONLINE SHOPPING REMINDER: When shopping online for grocery delivery or curbside pickup, be sure to check the actual label on each item when the order is received. This is essential because many online descriptions or pictures give inaccurate or outdated information regarding the product’s Kosher status. In addition, the store may substitute non-Kosher or non-approved products if the requested item is not available.
One recent example: Member’s Mark California Almonds Roasted with Sea Salt (oil roasted) from Sam’s Club is still pictured online with an OU symbol, but the actual product currently does not bear an OU.
THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS BEAR AN UNAUTHORIZED KOSHER SYMBOL:
- PS SEASONING ROASTED GARLIC CREAMY POTATO SOUP MIX bears an unauthorized KSW symbol [Kosher Supervisors of Wisconsin / Wisconsin Kosher] and contains a non-Kosher ingredient.
- SPIRITLESS KENTUCKY 74 – The OU does not certify Spiritless Kentucky 74 beverages or any products made by Spiritless. Some of their marketing materials bear an unauthorized OU symbol.
BLACKBURN’S JELLIES – Notice from the cRc: Due to Kosher violations, Blackburn’s Grape Jelly and other jelly/jam products produced by T J Blackburn Syrup Works, Inc., Jefferson, TX, are no longer certified and are being recalled. Products with an expiration date of 3-25-23 and later should not be treated as Kosher even when bearing a cRc or Texas-K (a cRc subsidiary) Kosher symbol.
VILLA CAPE WINES
- Villa Cape 2018 vintage wines which have the importer’s name on the label listed as “Israco International Food Brands Marketing Ltd” bear an unauthorized OK symbol. (The Villa Cape 2018 wines with an OK that do not list “Israco…” are certified.)
- Villa Cape 2021 vintage wines bear an unauthorized OK symbol – OK Kosher did not certify any productions in 2021.
MISSING DAIRY DESIGNATION: The following Kosher certified products contain dairy ingredients, but are not labeled correctly as Dairy:
- COUNTRYSIDE CREAMERY “TASTES LIKE BUTTER!” VEGETABLE OIL SPREAD sold at Aldi mistakenly bears a plain OU symbol without the D on some containers.
- GREAT VALUE RICOTTA CHEESE sold at Walmart mistakenly bears a plain OU symbol without the D on some containers.
WELLSLEY FARMS MINI CINNAMON ROLLS sold at BJ’s – Update from the OU: The correct status of this product is DE [dairy equipment]. The label mistakenly bears only a plain OU.
BARLEY CHECKING REMINDER: There have been several reports recently of insects found in Gefen Pearl Barley. Many Kashrus agencies recommend that all barley (and in particular Yoshon brands) be checked prior to use. Following are two options for checking:
- Place all the barley you wish to use in a white bowl, and fill the bowl with water, a few inches over the top of the barley.
- Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes. If insects are present, they will float to the top. If any do, repeat the process, and if no more are then found, the barley may be used.
- Place a small pile of barley – about two ounces at a time – on a white paper plate (not plastic, which creates a shine) with good overhead light that illuminates the plate.
- Use a finger or a fork to drag a small amount of barley away from the pile, spreading that barley in a single layer. Visually inspect the spread-apart barley, looking for webbing, black insects and white or tan worms between or under the kernels.
- Repeat this until the entire pile has been checked. Then do the same for the rest of the barley in the package.
BROWN RICE CHECKING REMINDER from Star-K: There are reports in a number of cities that infestation is being found in brown rice. Star-K recommends checking brown rice for insects prior to use, as follows:
- Place the brown rice (no more than 16 oz. at a time) in a mesh strainer. Mesh size should ideally be #12 mesh or larger.
- Shake the brown rice over a lightbox or white paper for 25-30 seconds.
- Examine the surface of the lightbox or paper for any insect presence. If no insects are found, the brown rice may be used. If any insects are found, the brown rice should not be used.
CASHEWS notice from OK: The OK Kosher Tolaim Committee has been finding insects and worms in cashews. Consumers should split them open and make a cursory inspection, especially when holes are visible.
SPRITE WINTER SPICED CRANBERRY Limited Edition and SPRITE GINGER sodas, in both regular and Zero Sugar varieties, are Kosher, and bear the OU symbol on the bottle cap or engraved into the can lid.
KRONOS CLASSIC HUMMUS is certified cRc Pareve and is labeled correctly on the individual 4 lb. tubs. The outer cases that state Dairy are outdated and are being used up.
OLITALIA ITALIAN COLLECTION, currently being sold at Sam’s Club as a Limited Time item, contains a bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil with an OU, and a bottle of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena with no Kosher marking. The vinegar contains grape must and wine vinegar, and is not Kosher. The OU symbol on the outer display case refers only to the olive oil.
THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS BEAR AN UNAUTHORIZED KOSHER SYMBOL:
- Various FURTHER FOOD COLLAGEN [animal] products bear an unauthorized OK symbol.
- AMBROSIA BOVINE [animal] COLLAGEN POWDER bears an unauthorized OK symbol
- Various FLORAJEN PROBIOTICS products bear an unauthorized OK symbol.
- KOLIKOF BOWFIN CAVIAR bears an unauthorized Star-K symbol.
- BUCKY BADGER POPCORN products bear an unauthorized KSW symbol [Kosher Supervisors of Wisconsin / Wisconsin Kosher].
- WILDLY ORGANIC / WILDERNESS FAMILY NATURALS GOJI BERRIES mistakenly bear the EarthKosher symbol on some packaging. [Note: All brands of Goji Berries should be avoided, due to serious infestation issues.]
THE FOLLOWING KOSHER CERTIFIED PRODUCTS CONTAIN DAIRY INGREDIENTS, but are not labeled correctly as Dairy:
- WELLSLEY FARMS MINI CINNAMON ROLLS sold at BJ’s – contains milk, but mistakenly bears a plain OU symbol without the D.
- 7-SELECT CHOCOLATE PUDDING and 7-SELECT VANILLA PUDDING sold at 7-Eleven contain milk and cream, but mistakenly bear a plain OU symbol without the D.
COCA-COLA and SPRITE in 12 oz. cans with specific date codes on the bottom of the can [Coca-Cola: AUG1522WMB and AUG1522WMC; Sprite: AUG1522WMB] have been recalled due to the potential presence of foreign matter. These products were distributed in the Southeastern states. Details are available at https://www.commissaries.com/our-agency/newsroom/news-releases/coca-cola-recalls-coca-cola-and-sprite12-oz-cans-due-potential or 800-438-2653.
DOLE SALADS RECALL: Dole has recalled all Dole branded and private label salads produced at its Bessemer City, NC and Yuma, AZ processing facilities due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. These products bear either the letter N or Y in the beginning of the code below the Use By date, and will have a “Best if Used By” date between November 30, 2021, and January 8, 2022. This includes various iceberg/ Garden Salad and coleslaw products bearing OK certification under the following brand names: DOLE, KROGER, LITTLE SALAD BAR [Aldi], MARKETSIDE [Walmart], LIDL, and AHOLD. (Also Dole Shredded Carrots.) Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/dole-fresh-vegetables-announces-voluntary-recall-salads-processed-its-bessemer-city-nc-and-yuma-az?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery or 800-356-3111.
FRESH EXPRESS SALADS RECALL: Fresh Express is recalling Fresh Express branded and private label salads produced at its Streamwood, Illinois facility due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. These products bear the letter Z in the beginning of the code below the Use By date. The recall includes all Use By dates with product codes Z324 through Z350, and includes various iceberg/ Garden Salad and coleslaw products bearing Star-K certification under the following brand names: FRESH EXPRESS, LITTLE SALAD BAR [Aldi], MARKETSIDE [Walmart], GIANT EAGLE, and SIGNATURE FARMS [Jewel-Osco]. Details are available at https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fresh-express-announces-recall-of-fresh-salad-products-due-to-potential-health-risk-301448686.html or 800- 242-5472.
[NOTE: Little Salad Bar and Marketside salads that bear an OK Kosher symbol (as in the local Detroit area) are produced by Dole. In some areas they are produced by Fresh Express and bear a Star-K.]
BELL PEPPERS FROM ISRAEL (red, yellow and orange) will soon begin appearing in U.S. stores, and should not be purchased due to Shemitah restrictions. (If already purchased, consult your Rav.) Carefully check the fine print on the package, or the sticker on peppers sold loose, for the country of origin. Often the same brand has some peppers from Israel and some from other locations, so each individual package or pepper should be checked.
Whenever buying produce, one should be careful to check the sticker, bag label or original case for the country of origin, due to issues of Shemitah, or of Terumos and Maaseros if it is not Shemitah product. Some additional examples of Israeli produce commonly found in the U.S. include tomatoes, carrots, citrus fruit (oranges, grapefruit, lemons, mandarins, clementines and pomelos), persimmons (“Sharon Fruit”), pomegranates, mangos, dates, dill and parsley.
IMPERIAL VEGETABLE OIL SPREADS in several varieties have recently changed from dairy [OU-D] to pareve [plain OU]. Check each package carefully. 1 lb. packages of sticks that bear a plain OU on the outer package are pareve, even though the inner wrappers still state OU-D; the wrappers will be updated.
GREAT VALUE DICED PEACHES IN 100% JUICE at Walmart bears an OU on the 4 Packs and contain Kosher grape juice. The 12 Packs, however, no longer bear an OU and are not acceptable, even though their online pictures still show an OU symbol.
Some cans of BORRELLI PIZZA SAUCE with no Kashrus certification were mistakenly sold recently at The Grove [One Stop]. They should not be used. Other cans of Borrelli Pizza Sauce bear an OU symbol, but the OU has thus far not confirmed their Kosher status, and the OU symbol may be unauthorized.
[Updated information from Kof-K:] HECKERS and CERESOTA ALL PURPOSE FLOURS which contain “NT” in the code are milled from Yoshon winter wheat in a facility that handles only winter wheat. (For those makpid on malt in flour, malt may be Chodosh as of Dec 15, which corresponds to a “Best If Used By” date of June 15 23.)
- Only those Tums products that bear a Kosher symbol are acceptable. Most of the certified products state Pareve beneath the symbol; however, Tums Chewy Delights contains milk and is marked as Dairy.
- Some containers of Tums Assorted Berries Extra Strength 750 and Tums Assorted Fruit Extra Strength 750 are now being made by non-certified manufacturers, and do not bear a Kosher symbol. Check each container.
- Tums Naturals Black Cherry & Watermelon variety contains carmine color, which is made from non-Kosher cochineal beetles, and therefore bears no Kosher marking.
- Tums Chewy Bites are not certified and bear no Kosher marking.
Specific COUNTRY TIME LEMONADE, KOOL-AID, TANG, and ARIZONA HALF & HALF powdered drink mixes have been recalled due to the potential presence of very small pieces of metal or glass. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/kraft-heinz-voluntarily-recalls-select-country-time-lemonade-tang-arizona-tea-powdered-beverages-and or 855-713-9237.
TASTYKAKE CUPCAKES and KRIMPETS with specific “Enjoy By” dates have been recalled due to the potential presence of tiny fragments of metal mesh wire. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/amended-flowers-foods-issues-voluntary-recall-certain-tastykake-products-due-possible-presence-tiny or 866-245-8921.
ONLINE SHOPPING: When shopping online for grocery delivery or curbside pickup, be sure to check the actual label on each item when the order is received. This is essential because many online descriptions or pictures give inaccurate or outdated information regarding the product’s Kosher status. In addition, the store may substitute non-Kosher or non-approved products if the requested item is not available.
One recent example: Kroger Hearty Vegetable Ready To Serve Soup in an 18.8 oz. can is still pictured online with an OU symbol, but the actual product does not bear an OU. In fact, this product lost its Kosher status over a year ago, but the picture has not been updated.
SNAPPLE DRINKS: Not all Snapple drinks are Kosher, and not all of the Kosher varieties are pareve. Always check each bottle or can for the OK symbol, plus for its pareve / dairy status. [A plain OK symbol indicates pareve; OK-D = dairy; OK-DE = dairy equipment.] Care should also be taken when purchasing variety packs, which may contain a mixture of Kosher and non-Kosher varieties.
Following are current examples of non-Kosher and dairy or DE varieties. However, please be aware that this list is not necessarily complete, as the manufacturer can at any time introduce additional flavors, or reformulate existing ones.
- Black Cherry Lemonade
- Cranberry Raspberry – reg, and Diet
- Fruit Punch
- Mixed Berry
- “Name The Flav!” Mystery Flavor
- Any other variety listing grape juice
DAIRY [D]: Go Bananas (contains milk and cream) DAIRY EQUIPMENT [DE]: Many items in cans
NATURAL EARTH SUSHI BROWN RICE in bags has recently been found in the East to be seriously infested with insects (including some inside the rice grains), and is not recommended at this time. In general, it is recommended that all brands of brown rice be checked before using, particularly in the Northeast U.S.
HECKERS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR is milled from Yoshon winter wheat in a facility that handles only winter wheat. (For those makpid on malt in flour, probable Chodosh date for malt is Dec 15 / “Best If Used By” date of June 15 23.) [Sources: Kof-K, Guide to Chodosh]
TERRA VEGETABLE CHIPS were in the past certified by the Kof-K as Bishul Yisroel. Effective immediately, they are no longer Bishul Yisroel, but their Kosher certification continues, based on the Poskim who rule that chips do not require Bishul Yisroel. Bags which either have the “Bishul Yisroel” declaration or are marked (after the Best Before date) with a Julian date of 295 or earlier, may still be considered Bishul Yisroel.
[Note: Some Terra Chips varieties contain milk and are marked Kof-K Dairy; e.g., Mediterranean, Sweets & Apples, and Tropical.]
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT BROCCOLI CRUSTS is Kosher and Pareve, as stated on the front of the package. Some packages mistakenly list Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese in the ingredients. [Note: Dare To Be Different Broccoli Crust Pizza of course is dairy, and is correctly marked.]
COUNTRY CROCK SPREADS have OU certification on many, but not all, of their products. Check each item for the OU or OU-D symbol.
TAPATIO RAMEN NOODLE SOUPS are available in two sizes. Those in 3.7 oz. bowls are not Kosher and do not bear an OU. Those in 2.29 oz. cups were in the past OU certified and bore the OU symbol. However, the OU is no longer certifying any Tapatio Ramen Noodle Soups, and newer cups therefore no longer bear the OU. Stores may have a mixture of OU and non-OU cups; check each cup carefully for the OU symbol.
KINDER’S SEASONINGS are no longer under Kof-K supervision; new containers therefore do not bear the Kof-K symbol. Containers that still bear the Kof-K were produced previously under supervision.
THE FOLLOWING KOSHER CERTIFIED PRODUCTS CONTAIN DAIRY INGREDIENTS, but are not labeled correctly as Dairy:
- GREAT VALUE [Walmart] KETTLE COOKED SALT & VINEGAR POTATO CHIPS [revised OU alert] – contains lactose, but mistakenly bears a plain OU symbol without the D. [Note: Great Value Classic Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips is pareve and correctly bears a plain OU.]
- SWEET DELISH! TASTY DONUT BITES from Weston Foods [Birthday Cake, Cookies & Cream, Powdered Sugar, Red Velvet] – mistakenly bear a plain Kof-K symbol without the D.
- KODIAK CAKES CORNBREAD MIX – some boxes mistakenly bear a plain OK symbol without the D.
- KETO AND CO SHORTBREAD KETO COOKIE MIX – some packages mistakenly bear a plain OU symbol without the D.
- LONGO’S BAKE YOUR OWN BUTTER CROISSANTS – mistakenly bear a plain COR (Canada) symbol without the D.
- COCONUT PRALINE PECANS distributed by Maple Ridge Farms is certified cRc Dairy. Some 5 oz. boxes contain an ingredient card that mistakenly says Pareve.
THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS BEAR AN UNAUTHORIZED KOSHER SYMBOL:
- GENERAL MILLS GOLDEN GRAHAMS S’MORES REMIX (contains gelatin) – some packages bear an unauthorized OU-D symbol.
- BOWL & BASKET CAULIFLOWER RICE [A ShopRite brand] bears an unauthorized MK (Montreal) symbol.
- DOLLY brand WHOLE KERNEL SWEET CORN in 15 oz. cans, distributed by RD Foods Americas and labeled Product of Thailand, bears an unauthorized Star-K symbol. (Those bearing a Star-K symbol and labeled Product of China are)
- GRAPE JUICE CONCENTRATES manufactured byColoma Frozen Foods bear an unauthorized cRc symbol.
- WEGMANS GLUTEN FREE BROWNIES – some labels bear an unauthorized OU symbol.
- WEGMANS CHEESE GLUTEN FREE TORTELLINI – some labels bear an unauthorized OU symbol.
- LONGO’S DOUBLE CREAM BRIE CHEESE bears an unauthorized Kof-K (D.E.) symbol. This product is not Kosher certified (and is dairy).
- LEONARDO SWEETSROYAL BEE ICING DECORATION sold in Israel bears an unauthorized cRc symbol.
- EFT, INC. – Any products produced by EFT, Inc. that bear a KSA symbol, are fraudulent and unauthorized. This includes personal care and house care products.
- VITAMIN CODE RAW ANTIOXIDANTS distributed by Garden of Life of Palm Beach Gardens, FL, that bears an expiration date prior to September 1, 2022, contains a non-Kosher ingredient and is not Kosher, even when bearinga Star-K symbol.
- KERANIQUE KERAVIATIN HAIR & SCALP HEALTH SUPPLEMENTS bears an unauthorized Kof-K symbol.
- CASA MILO TRADITIONAL TARALLI – some labels bear an unauthorized OU symbol (contains wine).
- SPERRY’S RESTAURANT SEASONINGS – some labels bear an unauthorized OU symbol.
now been removed from the shelves. Absence of the OK symbol is usually due to increased infestation levels in some batches; we are checking into the details of these particular bags. Check every bag for the Kashrus symbol.
GEFEN dried GARBANZO BEANS (CHICK PEAS) in 16 oz. bags has been found to have a serious infestation problem in many bags, and is not recommended at this time.
GOLD MEDAL ALL PURPOSE FLOUR and BREAD FLOUR with “KC” in code, which in past years has been always Yoshon, has changed status, and product that will be packaged beginning Sep. 9 next week (= Better If Used By date March 21, 2023) will no longer be Yoshon. [Source: Star-K and Yoshon.com]
MOUNTAIN DEW KICKSTART JUICE DRINKS, MOUNTAIN DEW RISE ENERGY DRINKS, and MOUNTAIN DEW GAME FUEL ENERGY DRINKS contain grape juice [except for Game Fuel “Zero” varieties], and are acceptable only when bearing a K (or a recognized Kosher symbol), or when bearing the letters XG in the middle of the second line of the inkjet code on bottom of the can. Other Mountain Dew products that are produced in the USA, Canada, and Mexico are acceptable without any symbol or code.
SEASON SARDINES – Important Reminder: As previously posted, due to Covid-19 work and travel restrictions, some Season Sardines, Sprats and Kipper Snacks products were produced as non-Kosher and do not bear an OU symbol. Unfortunately, their packaging is identical to OU certified product, except for the absence of the OU, and this has led to numerous mix-ups, even in Kosher stores. Check every can for the OU symbol.
MISSION FOODS TORTILLAS and related products are certified by the cRc (Chicago Rabbinical Council) only when produced in the USA. Mission Foods has recently started importing similar non-certified products that are produced in Mexico, which state “made in Mexico” on the label and do not bear a cRc. Check each bag for the cRc logo. [Note: Mission Foods cRc certified products are not Pas Yisroel.]
CLOVER VALLEY COFFEE CREAMER, sold at Dollar General stores, bears an unauthorized Star-K symbol on some containers, and is not certified by Star-K.
LAY’S WAVY ORIGINAL POTATO CHIPS bearing an OU mistakenly contains Sour Cream & Onion potato chips [not OU certified, and dairy] in a small number of 73⁄4 oz. bags. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/frito-lay-issues-limited-voluntary-recall-undeclared-milk-wavy-lays-original-potato-chips or 800-352-4477.
PAS YISROEL: The K-COR wishes to remind the Kosher consumer of the accepted custom to be stringent on Pas Yisroel during Aseres Yemei T’shuva. Please be advised that many K-COR certified establishments produce or sell some bread and cake products that are not Pas Yisroel. Please ask the Mashgiach or call the K-COR office for details regarding specific establishments.
- The following establishments are totally Pas Yisroel: ZEMAN’S, BAKE STATION, DAKOTA BREAD COMPANY, PIZZA STOP, SPREADS BAGELS & CAFÉ, PRIME 10, SOUL CAFÉ RESTAURANT (not catering), KAPLAN CAKES, YODELS ‘N MORE, and SLICE OF HEAVEN. At THE GROVE [One Stop] FRESH BAKERY dept., all items that are sold loose, or repackaged with a Grove label, are Pas Yisroel. At JERUSALEM PIZZA, the pizza and bagels are Pas Yisroel.
- KORDAS’ breads, rolls, and buns from METROPOLITAN BAKING CO. bearing the K-COR symbol are Pas Yisroel, except for Pita Bread which is not Pas Yisroel.
- MILANO BAKERY bread and rolls that bear the K-COR symbol are Pas Yisroel*, except for Milano Bread Sticks which are not Pas Yisroel.
- SIMPLY NATURE KNOCK YOUR SPROUTS OFF SPROUTED 7 GRAIN BREAD at Aldi with an OK symbol is Pas Yisroel*.
- FOOD FOR LIFE EZEKIEL SPROUTED GRAIN BREADS with the Kof-K symbol are Pas Yisroel*. The Pocket Bread, however, is not Pas Yisroel.
- NATURAL OVENS BAKERY – The following Natural Ovens breads with an OU are Pas Yisroel: Whole Grain Right Wheat, Whole Grain Multi-Grain, 100% Whole Grain, Better White, Oatmeal, Keto-Friendly White Bread. [NOTE: Natural Ovens Organic 100% Whole Grain Wheat Bread with CK (Cincinnati Kosher) certification, sold at Costco, is not Pas Yisroel.]
- S. ROSEN’S breads, buns and rolls with an OU are Pas Yisroel*.
- TRADER JOE’S brand of CHOCOLATE BROOKLYN BABKA, CINNAMON BROOKLYN BABKA, and HALF MOON COOKIES that bear OU Pareve are Pas Yisroel. (They are no longer Yoshon.)
- TRADER JOE’S SOFT BAKED PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES bears OK Pareve and states Pas Yisroel* on the label. (It is also Yoshon.)
- MATT’S BAKERY COOKIES with OK Pareve are Pas Yisroel*.
- LILLY’S BABKA, RUGELACH and other cakes and cookies with an OU from Lilly’s Baking Company / Brooklyn Brands are Pas Yisroel. (The labels no longer need to state Pas Yisroel. They are not Yoshon.)
* per the “glow-plug method” [an electrical heating element turned on by the Mashgiach], which most Kashrus agencies consider Pas Yisroel. (The OU, however, does not accept this as Pas Yisroel, based on the psak of Rabbi Yisroel Belsky zt’l.)
- Standard honey goes through a filtering process, which removes the non-Kosher bee parts. Even “raw and unfiltered” honey is usually strained, to remove the bee parts. However, some completely unprocessed honeys are neither filtered nor strained. If the label or the manufacturer states that the honey is not strained, or if bee parts are visible, that honey should be avoided or should be strained by the consumer.
- “Forest honey”, “Honeydew honey”, and “Beechwood honey” (or honey named after other types of trees such as Pine, Fir, Oak, etc.), generally refer to honey produced by bees that have consumed the non-Kosher excretions of aphids and scale insects left on trees (as opposed to standard honey produced from flower nectar). These are not considered Kosher according to some opinions, and should be avoided.
- “Royal Jelly” is a bee product that, unlike regular honey, is an actual secretion of the bee. Some Poskim therefore rule that it is not included in the permitted category of “honey”, and it should be avoided.
- The frozen Rainbow Trout fish heads now being sold at Superior Kosher Meats are completely fresh water raised, and do not need to be checked for lice.
- Rainbow Trout from Norway are heavily infested, and require thorough cleaning and checking [see below].
The following is from New Square Kashrus Council:
- White fish:White fish heads are free of infestation concern.
- Salmon/Baby salmon:Salmon heads [even farm raised] are commonly infested with salmon lice (small brownish parasites ranging in size from approximately 1-3 cm).
- The entire gills must be removed. (It may be easier to first cut the head in half before cleaning).
- Rinse the head thoroughly with water while rubbing all surfaces of the head (inside and outside), including all cracks, crevices and folds, and under and around the tongue. Inspect the head to make sure it is clean.
One who wants to avoid the checking process may just rinse the head and cook the head in a separate pot, take a small piece from the flesh of the head, and visually inspect it before eating to make sure there is no foreign object on it.
- Carp:Carp heads may be infested with very small transparent insects called Argulus that are very hard to detect. There is no known method to clean infested carp heads properly, and they should not be used unless checked by an expert.
BLACK EYED PEAS are often infested and require careful checking. The following is based on the Star-K procedure for checking dried, canned or frozen black eyed peas, and applies even if the product bears Kashrus certification. (Note: All canned peas and beans always require Kashrus certification, for general Kashrus concerns.)
- Dried black eyed peas should first be put in a pot with an ample amount of water (about 3 times the volume of the peas), bring them to a boil, then turn off the flame and allow the peas to soak in the water for 2-3 hours. The peas will swell and the peelwill become translucent. Then check as below.
- Canned or frozen black eyed peas may be checked straight out of the can/bag; there is no need to boil or soak.
- To check (all types): Take the black eyed peas and inspect for holes or dark-colored stains, as this may indicate an insect beneath the thin peel. If there is a dark spot on the peel, remove the thin skin and check if there is a cavity with a bug in it. (The black “eye” spot is not a sign of infestation. Similarly, orange colored stains on the surface are not signs of infestation; only dark or black stains are of concern.)
[Note: For those who prefer not to rely on checking, some Poskim advise that the Rosh Hashana simanim custom can be fulfilled without eating the item, by placing it on the table and looking at it.]
We Wish All a K’siva v’Chasima Tova
OREO SANDWICH COOKIES: The following is an updated list from the OU of Oreo OU-D cookies that are Dairy Equipment. Cookies on this list may be consumed after meat and poultry, but not simultaneously. (New varieties are in bold.)
“At the present time the following Oreo Sandwich Cookies do not contain dairy ingredients, although they are manufactured on dairy equipment:
• Oreo Basecake Cookie Crumbs
• Oreo Brookie-O Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Caramel Coconut Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Chocolate Marshmallow Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Cinnamon Bun Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Dark Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Double Stuf Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Gluten Free Double Stuf Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Gluten Free Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Golden Double Stuf Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Golden Mega Stuf Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Golden Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Hazelnut Creme Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Java Chip Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Lemon Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Maple Cream Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Mini Original Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Mint Creme Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Original Mega Stuf Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Original Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Red, White & Blue Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo S’mores Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Thins Latte Creme Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Thins Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Tiramisu Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Triple Double Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Winter Edition Sandwich Cookies
Please bear in mind that the manufacturer may choose in the future to reformulate these products and add dairy ingredients. Since these products already bear OUD symbols, formulation changes would not be reflected in the OUD logo. As such, we recommend that consumers check regularly with our [OU] office to confirm the status of these items.”
NEW SLURPEE SYRUPS: [This information is for the benefit of Kashrus Supervisors and consumers who inspect (with permission of store management) the labels on the 2.5 / 5 gal. bag-in-boxes of syrups in the back of the store, which feed the Slurpee machines. The flavor cards posted on the Slurpee machines in front cannot be relied upon to determine the Kosher status of the Slurpee, because they often do not correspond with the brand and variety of the syrup that is actually feeding the machine.]
The following new Slurpee FCB syrups are Kosher and pareve.
• VITAMINWATER ZERO SUGAR GUTSY FCB (no symbol required) • VITAMINWATER XXX FCB (no symbol required)
V8 ORIGINAL 100% VEGETABLE JUICE in bottles (12, 32, 46 and 64 oz. sizes), and in 5.5 and 11.5 oz. cans, is OU certified and bears the OU symbol on the back. However, the 46 oz. can is not certified and does not bear an OU.
FERRERO PECANS from IL NUTS/ YOSSEF ROASTING mistakenly lists milk chocolate in the ingredients. This product is pareve.
CHOCOLATE WORKS S’MORES from 5th Avenue Chocolatiere, Freeport, NY, is certified as dairy by the cRc, but mistakenly does not bear the dairy designation.
NATURAL EARTH TOASTED YAKI SUSHI NORI in .70 oz. packages with an expiration code of Feb 11 2022 was incorrectly labeled with a Star-K symbol. This lot was not checked and is not certified. Other lots of Natural Earth Nori are certified when bearing the Star-K symbol.
CHOCOA CRISP STRAWBERRY CHOCOLATE DECOR PEARLS from Chef’s Warehouse bears an unauthorized OU symbol on some packages. If you see this product in the marketplace, please provide details to email@example.com.
“NO NAME” FRUIT SALAD IN FRUIT JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, sold in Canada, bears an unauthorized COR symbol. This product is not Kosher, even when bearing the COR 1 symbol.
LIFE SMART FRUIT COCKTAIL WITH CHERRIES, distributed by Metro Brands and sold in Canada, bears an unauthorized Star-K symbol.
NO LONGER STAR-K/STAR-D CERTIFIED: Effective July 1, 2021, the following brands (listed by Brand name/Company name) are no longer certified by either Star-K or Star-D, even when bearing the Star-K or Star-D symbol:
• Aunt Gussie’s / Aunt Gussie’s Cookies and Crackers
• B.A.D. Foods / B.A.D. Foods Company
• Barely Bread / Barely Bread
• BudiBar / Budi Brands
• Early Bird Foods / Aunt Gussie’s Cookies and Crackers
• Ella’s / Aunt Gussie’s Cookies and Crackers
• Real Cookies / Get Real Foods
• Naked Granola / Naked Granola, Cookie Division
• Naked Whey / Naked Nutrition
• Black’s Family Ket’Oh Bites / Poppy Industries, Canada
McCORMICK / FRANK’S RECALL: McCormick Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning (1.31 and 2.25 oz.), McCormick Culinary Italian Seasoning (1.75 lb.), and Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Ranch Seasoning (153g, sold in Canada) with specific Best By dates have been recalled due to possible contamination with Salmonella. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/voluntary-recall-notice-mccormick-italian-seasoning-products-and-franks-redhot-buffalo-ranch or 800-635-2867.
RITA’S ITALIAN ICE & FROZEN CUSTARD OF FARMINGTON HILLS at 11 Mile & Middlebelt is now under supervision of the Vaad Harabbonim / Council of Orthodox Rabbis of Greater Detroit, as Dairy non-Cholov Yisroel. Many flavors of the Italian Ices contain only pareve ingredients, but may contain traces of dairy; a list is posted at the store. Cream Ices are Dairy.
ICE CREAM and FROZEN YOGURT STORES often claim that they are Kosher and may post Kosher certification letters, which leads consumers to believe that the store and its products are under supervision. In fact, in most cases, the letters refer only to specific products or ingredients which are factory produced under supervision, and are certified only when in their original sealed packaging bearing Kosher marking. Once the unsupervised store opens the packaging, the certification is no longer valid. Unless the consumer verifies that there is actual on-site reliable Rabbinical supervision of the entire individual retail store, no ice cream, yogurt, syrups or toppings should be considered Kosher except for those in their original sealed containers bearing a reliable Kosher certification.
The following are some stores in our area that are not under supervision: Clark’s Ice Cream and Yogurt, Haagen-Dazs, Menchie’s, Oberweis, and TCBY.
It is always preferable to buy at fully supervised stores. Locally, soft serve Cholov Yisroel ice cream is available at Jerusalem Pizza. Hard pack Cholov Yisroel ice cream is available at Spreads Bagels & Café. Hard pack non-Cholov Yisroel ice cream and yogurt is available at Baskin-Robbins/Dunkin’ Donuts at 10 Mile & Greenfield in Oak Park (which is K-COR certified for all products). Packaged Cholov Yisroel ice cream is available at The Grove Kosher Market.
If it is necessary to purchase hard pack ice cream or yogurt from an unsupervised store, the consumer should request and see a sealed container before it is opened, and check for the Kosher certification mark on the container. In addition, the scoop should be thoroughly washed.
Soft serve ice cream or yogurt should not be purchased from an unsupervised store, because of the inability to verify that Kosher mix was put into the machine.
New SUNKIST BERRY LEMONADE SODA is Kosher, and does not require a Kashrus symbol.
KORDAS’ BREADS, ROLLS, and BUNS from METROPOLITAN BAKING CO. bearing the K-COR symbol are Pas Yisroel, except for Pita Bread which is not Pas Yisroel.
KRONOS makes Pas Yisroel PITA BREAD and FLAT BREAD with “cRc Pas Yisroel” marking. The cRc has learned that for several weeks beginning in mid-March, some varieties of these products did not meet Pas Yisroel standards. The issue has been corrected, and fresh products being sold at this time are Pas Yisroel when bearing the cRc Pas Yisroel marking. If you have older products in your freezer, you can determine if they were from those problematic batches by checking the date codes. See details on the cRc website at https://www.crcweb.org/alerts.php (or call the Vaad Harabbonim Kashrus Information Line 248-559-5005 #103).
THE CHODOSH SEASON is approaching. Those who want to purchase Yoshon items to store over the Chodosh season should prepare to do so. Please note that all grain and flour products that will be stored should be refrigerated to avoid insect infestation.
NORI SHEETS FROM CHINA – REVISED KOF-K ALERT: Recently, possibly due to the current shortage, several brands of Nori sheets have been circulating with unauthorized Kof-K symbols. The Kof-K does not certify any Nori produced in China. The following brands are the only Nori sheets that Kof-K currently certifies:
• D’allesandro brand from Woodland Foods • Yamamotoyama
HEALTH GARDEN COCONUT SUGAR: New Square Kashrus Council has announced that the last shipment of this product was been found to be infested, and that consumers should refrain from using this product until further notice.
THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS CONTAIN DAIRY INGREDIENTS AND ARE CERTIFIED DAIRY, BUT MISTAKENLY DO NOT BEAR A “D” NEXT TO THEIR RESPECTIVE KASHRUS SYMBOLS:
• WELLSLEY FARMS MINI CRISPY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES sold at BJ’s [OU]
• BAZZINI DARK CHOCOLATE PECANS [OU]
• SOFT BAKED CLASSIC COOKIE DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP (3 oz.) from Mannon Specialty Foods [cRc]
ELECARE and ELECARE JR. AMINO ACID-BASED POWDER INFANT FORMULA / NUTRITION POWDER hypoallergenic formulas do not bear a Kashrus symbol, but are in fact certified OU DE (made with pareve ingredients, on dairy equipment).
JULIAN’S RECIPE BRUSSELS STYLE PALEO BELGIAN WAFELS, in ORIGINAL and MATCHA flavors, mistakenly bear a plain OK symbol. These products were made with pareve ingredients on dairy equipment.
SSIPS PASSION FRUIT DRINK will no longer be OU certified due to a change in ingredients, and will not bear the OU symbol. Containers still bearing the OU were made before this change. Check each container carefully.
BOTTICELLI BALSAMIC VINEGAR bears an unauthorized OU. This product is not OU certified.
RONZA LOLLIPOPS bears a forged certification of the Edah HaChareidis of Yerushalayim.
THE NUTMEG SPICE COMPANY – REVISED OU ALERT: The following products produced by The Nutmeg Spice Co. bear an unauthorized OU: Carne Assada Seasoning, Burgundy Wine Marinade, French Onion Dip Mix, and Saffron Rice Seasoning.
These products are labeled under several brand names, including brands of some Kosher food stores and distributors. Every label with the unauthorized OU symbol also states (usually on the back) that the product is from The Nutmeg Spice Company.
CUSTOM SEASONINGS of Gloucester, MA is no longer KVH certified, due to Kashrus violations. All products, even when bearing the KVH symbol, are unauthorized, and the company’s KVH Kashrus certificates are no longer valid.
IMPORTANT: ACE BAKERY / WESTON FOODS FROZEN PAR-BAKED GOODS are produced as Kosher with KSA certification, and bear the KSA symbol on their original bulk boxes. These bulk items are then distributed to in-store bakeries, which bake them and insert the breads into white bags, which are supplied along with the par-baked items. Inadvertently, some of these bags were imprinted with the KSA symbol. Please be aware that only Ace Bakery / Weston Foods baked goods in their original factory sealed bulk boxes bearing the KSA symbol are KSA certified. Once the products are baked in a non-certified in-store bakery, they cannot be considered Kosher, despite the mistaken KSA symbol on the bags. → THESE MISLABELED BREADS ARE NOW BEING SOLD LOCALLY AT MEIJER, AND AT OTHER LOCATIONS IN MICHIGAN AND ILLINOIS.
AHA SPARKLING WATER in all varieties is OU certified, and bears the OU symbol on the can.
BUBLY brand SPARKLING WATER in all flavors is Kosher and does not require Kosher marking.
New PEPSI BLUE is Kosher, and does not require a Kashrus symbol.
SKINNY POP KETTLE CORN POPCORN’s new variety pack contains the varieties Sweet Vanilla, Sweet & Salty, and Cinnamon & Sugar Kettle Corn, and bears the cRc and OU symbols on the outer box. On some of the inner bags the Kosher symbol was omitted, but they are nevertheless certified Kosher and pareve.
PLANET OAT OATMILK in 52 oz. refrigerated containers bears an OU-D on all varieties, but in fact their actual status is DE [dairy equipment], and they may be eaten after, but not with, meat.
BAKE SHOP BAKERY 7 LAYER DESSERT BAR, sold at Aldi stores in the U.S., was mistakenly labeled with a plain COR [Canada] symbol. This product contains dairy ingredients and is certified dairy.
TUSCAN GARDEN ALL PURPOSE RANCH SEASONING sold at Aldi mistakenly bears a plain OU without a D on some containers. This product contains dairy ingredients and is certified dairy.
BOWL & BASKET NON-STICK COOKING SPRAY GHEE mistakenly bears a plain OU without a D on some cans. This product contains dairy ingredients and is certified dairy. [“Ghee” = clarified butter.]
GLORY FOODS CANDIED YAMS – SEASONED SOUTHERN STYLE mistakenly bears a Star-K symbol. This product contains dairy ingredients and should have been labeled Star-D. It is certified Kosher dairy, non-Cholov Yisroel.
SUNGLO POPCORN SEASONINGS in the following varieties – Buttery, Jalapeno, Nacho Cheese, Ranch and White Cheddar – were mistakenly labeled with a plain OVK symbol. These products contain milk powder and are certified dairy.
LIEBER’S MINI, TINY DILL GHERKINS UPDATE: Rabbi M. Weissmandl issued an updated notice on 5/10/21 regarding both Lieber’s Mini Dill Gherkins and Lieber’s Tiny Dill Gherkins, that they were found to be infested and should not be used until further notice (regardless of their lot numbers).
SWEET CITY brand NORI SHEETS with the lot codes listed below have been recalled due to infestation concerns, and must be checked before using, even when bearing the Star-K symbol. All other lot codes remain certified. Lot Codes (printed on the bottom of each bag): 50824,50924,51024,51124,51424,51524,51624,51724,51824,52124,52224,52324.
INSPIRED ORGANICS brand ORGANIC CUT SPINACH and ORGANIC STRAWBERRIES bear an unauthorized cRc symbol. These products are not certified.
KRASDALE FROZEN CUT LEAF SPINACH bears an unauthorized KVH symbol. This product is not certified.
VOSS WATER + COLLAGEN bears an unauthorized OU symbol on some bottles. This product is not OU certified.
TAMMY’S KITCHEN CHICKEN CACCIATORE was mistakenly labeled with a Kof-K symbol. This product contains non-Kosher white wine and is not certified Kosher.
FIRST STREET PARMESAN CHEESE PACKETS (a foodservice item) bears an unauthorized OU-D symbol on some labels. This product is not OU certified.
ICE CREAM & SHERBET RECALL: Velvet Ice Cream has announced a recall of all of its ice cream and sherbet products made on or after March 24, 2021 as a precaution, because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. This includes specific products under the following brands: VELVET, SUPER DIP, NORTH STAR, BUEHLER’S, RUGGLES, WHALE OF A PAIL, and DISCOUNT DRUG MART. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/velvet-ice-cream-recalls-various-products-due-possible-listeria-risk
or 800-589-5000 x237.
LIEBER’S MINI, TINY DILL GHERKINS UPDATE: Rabbi M. Weissmandl has informed us as of 5/6/21 regarding all jars of both Lieber’s Mini Dill Gherkins and Lieber’s Tiny Dill Gherkins, regardless of their lot numbers, that it is recommended that they not be used unless the consumer splits each gherkin lengthwise and inspects for long, easily visible worms.
BONE SUCKIN’ SAUCES normally bear an OU symbol. However, some non-certified jars of regular and Thicker Style varieties not bearing an OU were recently mistakenly sold at The Grove [One Stop]. Check each jar for the OU symbol.
SEASON SARDINES: As previously posted, due to Covid-19 work and travel restrictions, some Season Sardines, Sprats and Kipper Snacks products were produced as non-Kosher and do not bear an OU symbol. Some cans of Season Brisling Sardines – Product of Latvia with no OU may mistakenly have been sold in the
recent past at The Grove [One Stop]. Check every can for the OU symbol.