K-COR Kosher Alerts
Older alerts can be found in the archives.
BELL PEPPERS FROM ISRAEL (red, yellow and orange) will soon begin appearing in U.S. stores, and should not be purchased due to Shemitah restrictions. (If already purchased, consult your Rav.) Carefully check the fine print on the package, or the sticker on peppers sold loose, for the country of origin. Often the same brand has some peppers from Israel and some from other locations, so each individual package or pepper should be checked.
Whenever buying produce, one should be careful to check the sticker, bag label or original case for the country of origin, due to issues of Shemitah, or of Terumos and Maaseros if it is not Shemitah product. Some additional examples of Israeli produce commonly found in the U.S. include tomatoes, carrots, citrus fruit (oranges, grapefruit, lemons, mandarins, clementines and pomelos), persimmons (“Sharon Fruit”), pomegranates, mangos, dates, dill and parsley.
IMPERIAL VEGETABLE OIL SPREADS in several varieties have recently changed from dairy [OU-D] to pareve [plain OU]. Check each package carefully. 1 lb. packages of sticks that bear a plain OU on the outer package are pareve, even though the inner wrappers still state OU-D; the wrappers will be updated.
GREAT VALUE DICED PEACHES IN 100% JUICE at Walmart bears an OU on the 4 Packs and contain Kosher grape juice. The 12 Packs, however, no longer bear an OU and are not acceptable, even though their online pictures still show an OU symbol.
Some cans of BORRELLI PIZZA SAUCE with no Kashrus certification were mistakenly sold recently at The Grove [One Stop]. They should not be used. Other cans of Borrelli Pizza Sauce bear an OU symbol, but the OU has thus far not confirmed their Kosher status, and the OU symbol may be unauthorized.
[Updated information from Kof-K:] HECKERS and CERESOTA ALL PURPOSE FLOURS which contain “NT” in the code are milled from Yoshon winter wheat in a facility that handles only winter wheat. (For those makpid on malt in flour, malt may be Chodosh as of Dec 15, which corresponds to a “Best If Used By” date of June 15 23.)
- Only those Tums products that bear a Kosher symbol are acceptable. Most of the certified products state Pareve beneath the symbol; however, Tums Chewy Delights contains milk and is marked as Dairy.
- Some containers of Tums Assorted Berries Extra Strength 750 and Tums Assorted Fruit Extra Strength 750 are now being made by non-certified manufacturers, and do not bear a Kosher symbol. Check each container.
- Tums Naturals Black Cherry & Watermelon variety contains carmine color, which is made from non-Kosher cochineal beetles, and therefore bears no Kosher marking.
- Tums Chewy Bites are not certified and bear no Kosher marking.
Specific COUNTRY TIME LEMONADE, KOOL-AID, TANG, and ARIZONA HALF & HALF powdered drink mixes have been recalled due to the potential presence of very small pieces of metal or glass. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/kraft-heinz-voluntarily-recalls-select-country-time-lemonade-tang-arizona-tea-powdered-beverages-and or 855-713-9237.
TASTYKAKE CUPCAKES and KRIMPETS with specific “Enjoy By” dates have been recalled due to the potential presence of tiny fragments of metal mesh wire. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/amended-flowers-foods-issues-voluntary-recall-certain-tastykake-products-due-possible-presence-tiny or 866-245-8921.
ONLINE SHOPPING: When shopping online for grocery delivery or curbside pickup, be sure to check the actual label on each item when the order is received. This is essential because many online descriptions or pictures give inaccurate or outdated information regarding the product’s Kosher status. In addition, the store may substitute non-Kosher or non-approved products if the requested item is not available.
One recent example: Kroger Hearty Vegetable Ready To Serve Soup in an 18.8 oz. can is still pictured online with an OU symbol, but the actual product does not bear an OU. In fact, this product lost its Kosher status over a year ago, but the picture has not been updated.
SNAPPLE DRINKS: Not all Snapple drinks are Kosher, and not all of the Kosher varieties are pareve. Always check each bottle or can for the OK symbol, plus for its pareve / dairy status. [A plain OK symbol indicates pareve; OK-D = dairy; OK-DE = dairy equipment.] Care should also be taken when purchasing variety packs, which may contain a mixture of Kosher and non-Kosher varieties.
Following are current examples of non-Kosher and dairy or DE varieties. However, please be aware that this list is not necessarily complete, as the manufacturer can at any time introduce additional flavors, or reformulate existing ones.
- Black Cherry Lemonade
- Cranberry Raspberry – reg, and Diet
- Fruit Punch
- Mixed Berry
- “Name The Flav!” Mystery Flavor
- Any other variety listing grape juice
DAIRY [D]: Go Bananas (contains milk and cream) DAIRY EQUIPMENT [DE]: Many items in cans
NATURAL EARTH SUSHI BROWN RICE in bags has recently been found in the East to be seriously infested with insects (including some inside the rice grains), and is not recommended at this time. In general, it is recommended that all brands of brown rice be checked before using, particularly in the Northeast U.S.
HECKERS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR is milled from Yoshon winter wheat in a facility that handles only winter wheat. (For those makpid on malt in flour, probable Chodosh date for malt is Dec 15 / “Best If Used By” date of June 15 23.) [Sources: Kof-K, Guide to Chodosh]
TERRA VEGETABLE CHIPS were in the past certified by the Kof-K as Bishul Yisroel. Effective immediately, they are no longer Bishul Yisroel, but their Kosher certification continues, based on the Poskim who rule that chips do not require Bishul Yisroel. Bags which either have the “Bishul Yisroel” declaration or are marked (after the Best Before date) with a Julian date of 295 or earlier, may still be considered Bishul Yisroel.
[Note: Some Terra Chips varieties contain milk and are marked Kof-K Dairy; e.g., Mediterranean, Sweets & Apples, and Tropical.]
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT BROCCOLI CRUSTS is Kosher and Pareve, as stated on the front of the package. Some packages mistakenly list Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese in the ingredients. [Note: Dare To Be Different Broccoli Crust Pizza of course is dairy, and is correctly marked.]
COUNTRY CROCK SPREADS have OU certification on many, but not all, of their products. Check each item for the OU or OU-D symbol.
TAPATIO RAMEN NOODLE SOUPS are available in two sizes. Those in 3.7 oz. bowls are not Kosher and do not bear an OU. Those in 2.29 oz. cups were in the past OU certified and bore the OU symbol. However, the OU is no longer certifying any Tapatio Ramen Noodle Soups, and newer cups therefore no longer bear the OU. Stores may have a mixture of OU and non-OU cups; check each cup carefully for the OU symbol.
KINDER’S SEASONINGS are no longer under Kof-K supervision; new containers therefore do not bear the Kof-K symbol. Containers that still bear the Kof-K were produced previously under supervision.
THE FOLLOWING KOSHER CERTIFIED PRODUCTS CONTAIN DAIRY INGREDIENTS, but are not labeled correctly as Dairy:
- GREAT VALUE [Walmart] KETTLE COOKED SALT & VINEGAR POTATO CHIPS [revised OU alert] – contains lactose, but mistakenly bears a plain OU symbol without the D. [Note: Great Value Classic Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips is pareve and correctly bears a plain OU.]
- SWEET DELISH! TASTY DONUT BITES from Weston Foods [Birthday Cake, Cookies & Cream, Powdered Sugar, Red Velvet] – mistakenly bear a plain Kof-K symbol without the D.
- KODIAK CAKES CORNBREAD MIX – some boxes mistakenly bear a plain OK symbol without the D.
- KETO AND CO SHORTBREAD KETO COOKIE MIX – some packages mistakenly bear a plain OU symbol without the D.
- LONGO’S BAKE YOUR OWN BUTTER CROISSANTS – mistakenly bear a plain COR (Canada) symbol without the D.
- COCONUT PRALINE PECANS distributed by Maple Ridge Farms is certified cRc Dairy. Some 5 oz. boxes contain an ingredient card that mistakenly says Pareve.
THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS BEAR AN UNAUTHORIZED KOSHER SYMBOL:
- GENERAL MILLS GOLDEN GRAHAMS S’MORES REMIX (contains gelatin) – some packages bear an unauthorized OU-D symbol.
- BOWL & BASKET CAULIFLOWER RICE [A ShopRite brand] bears an unauthorized MK (Montreal) symbol.
- DOLLY brand WHOLE KERNEL SWEET CORN in 15 oz. cans, distributed by RD Foods Americas and labeled Product of Thailand, bears an unauthorized Star-K symbol. (Those bearing a Star-K symbol and labeled Product of China are)
- GRAPE JUICE CONCENTRATES manufactured byColoma Frozen Foods bear an unauthorized cRc symbol.
- WEGMANS GLUTEN FREE BROWNIES – some labels bear an unauthorized OU symbol.
- WEGMANS CHEESE GLUTEN FREE TORTELLINI – some labels bear an unauthorized OU symbol.
- LONGO’S DOUBLE CREAM BRIE CHEESE bears an unauthorized Kof-K (D.E.) symbol. This product is not Kosher certified (and is dairy).
- LEONARDO SWEETSROYAL BEE ICING DECORATION sold in Israel bears an unauthorized cRc symbol.
- EFT, INC. – Any products produced by EFT, Inc. that bear a KSA symbol, are fraudulent and unauthorized. This includes personal care and house care products.
- VITAMIN CODE RAW ANTIOXIDANTS distributed by Garden of Life of Palm Beach Gardens, FL, that bears an expiration date prior to September 1, 2022, contains a non-Kosher ingredient and is not Kosher, even when bearinga Star-K symbol.
- KERANIQUE KERAVIATIN HAIR & SCALP HEALTH SUPPLEMENTS bears an unauthorized Kof-K symbol.
- CASA MILO TRADITIONAL TARALLI – some labels bear an unauthorized OU symbol (contains wine).
- SPERRY’S RESTAURANT SEASONINGS – some labels bear an unauthorized OU symbol.
now been removed from the shelves. Absence of the OK symbol is usually due to increased infestation levels in some batches; we are checking into the details of these particular bags. Check every bag for the Kashrus symbol.
GEFEN dried GARBANZO BEANS (CHICK PEAS) in 16 oz. bags has been found to have a serious infestation problem in many bags, and is not recommended at this time.
GOLD MEDAL ALL PURPOSE FLOUR and BREAD FLOUR with “KC” in code, which in past years has been always Yoshon, has changed status, and product that will be packaged beginning Sep. 9 next week (= Better If Used By date March 21, 2023) will no longer be Yoshon. [Source: Star-K and Yoshon.com]
MOUNTAIN DEW KICKSTART JUICE DRINKS, MOUNTAIN DEW RISE ENERGY DRINKS, and MOUNTAIN DEW GAME FUEL ENERGY DRINKS contain grape juice [except for Game Fuel “Zero” varieties], and are acceptable only when bearing a K (or a recognized Kosher symbol), or when bearing the letters XG in the middle of the second line of the inkjet code on bottom of the can. Other Mountain Dew products that are produced in the USA, Canada, and Mexico are acceptable without any symbol or code.
SEASON SARDINES – Important Reminder: As previously posted, due to Covid-19 work and travel restrictions, some Season Sardines, Sprats and Kipper Snacks products were produced as non-Kosher and do not bear an OU symbol. Unfortunately, their packaging is identical to OU certified product, except for the absence of the OU, and this has led to numerous mix-ups, even in Kosher stores. Check every can for the OU symbol.
MISSION FOODS TORTILLAS and related products are certified by the cRc (Chicago Rabbinical Council) only when produced in the USA. Mission Foods has recently started importing similar non-certified products that are produced in Mexico, which state “made in Mexico” on the label and do not bear a cRc. Check each bag for the cRc logo. [Note: Mission Foods cRc certified products are not Pas Yisroel.]
CLOVER VALLEY COFFEE CREAMER, sold at Dollar General stores, bears an unauthorized Star-K symbol on some containers, and is not certified by Star-K.
LAY’S WAVY ORIGINAL POTATO CHIPS bearing an OU mistakenly contains Sour Cream & Onion potato chips [not OU certified, and dairy] in a small number of 73⁄4 oz. bags. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/frito-lay-issues-limited-voluntary-recall-undeclared-milk-wavy-lays-original-potato-chips or 800-352-4477.
PAS YISROEL: The K-COR wishes to remind the Kosher consumer of the accepted custom to be stringent on Pas Yisroel during Aseres Yemei T’shuva. Please be advised that many K-COR certified establishments produce or sell some bread and cake products that are not Pas Yisroel. Please ask the Mashgiach or call the K-COR office for details regarding specific establishments.
- The following establishments are totally Pas Yisroel: ZEMAN’S, BAKE STATION, DAKOTA BREAD COMPANY, PIZZA STOP, SPREADS BAGELS & CAFÉ, PRIME 10, SOUL CAFÉ RESTAURANT (not catering), KAPLAN CAKES, YODELS ‘N MORE, and SLICE OF HEAVEN. At THE GROVE [One Stop] FRESH BAKERY dept., all items that are sold loose, or repackaged with a Grove label, are Pas Yisroel. At JERUSALEM PIZZA, the pizza and bagels are Pas Yisroel.
- KORDAS’ breads, rolls, and buns from METROPOLITAN BAKING CO. bearing the K-COR symbol are Pas Yisroel, except for Pita Bread which is not Pas Yisroel.
- MILANO BAKERY bread and rolls that bear the K-COR symbol are Pas Yisroel*, except for Milano Bread Sticks which are not Pas Yisroel.
- SIMPLY NATURE KNOCK YOUR SPROUTS OFF SPROUTED 7 GRAIN BREAD at Aldi with an OK symbol is Pas Yisroel*.
- FOOD FOR LIFE EZEKIEL SPROUTED GRAIN BREADS with the Kof-K symbol are Pas Yisroel*. The Pocket Bread, however, is not Pas Yisroel.
- NATURAL OVENS BAKERY – The following Natural Ovens breads with an OU are Pas Yisroel: Whole Grain Right Wheat, Whole Grain Multi-Grain, 100% Whole Grain, Better White, Oatmeal, Keto-Friendly White Bread. [NOTE: Natural Ovens Organic 100% Whole Grain Wheat Bread with CK (Cincinnati Kosher) certification, sold at Costco, is not Pas Yisroel.]
- S. ROSEN’S breads, buns and rolls with an OU are Pas Yisroel*.
- TRADER JOE’S brand of CHOCOLATE BROOKLYN BABKA, CINNAMON BROOKLYN BABKA, and HALF MOON COOKIES that bear OU Pareve are Pas Yisroel. (They are no longer Yoshon.)
- TRADER JOE’S SOFT BAKED PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES bears OK Pareve and states Pas Yisroel* on the label. (It is also Yoshon.)
- MATT’S BAKERY COOKIES with OK Pareve are Pas Yisroel*.
- LILLY’S BABKA, RUGELACH and other cakes and cookies with an OU from Lilly’s Baking Company / Brooklyn Brands are Pas Yisroel. (The labels no longer need to state Pas Yisroel. They are not Yoshon.)
* per the “glow-plug method” [an electrical heating element turned on by the Mashgiach], which most Kashrus agencies consider Pas Yisroel. (The OU, however, does not accept this as Pas Yisroel, based on the psak of Rabbi Yisroel Belsky zt’l.)
- Standard honey goes through a filtering process, which removes the non-Kosher bee parts. Even “raw and unfiltered” honey is usually strained, to remove the bee parts. However, some completely unprocessed honeys are neither filtered nor strained. If the label or the manufacturer states that the honey is not strained, or if bee parts are visible, that honey should be avoided or should be strained by the consumer.
- “Forest honey”, “Honeydew honey”, and “Beechwood honey” (or honey named after other types of trees such as Pine, Fir, Oak, etc.), generally refer to honey produced by bees that have consumed the non-Kosher excretions of aphids and scale insects left on trees (as opposed to standard honey produced from flower nectar). These are not considered Kosher according to some opinions, and should be avoided.
- “Royal Jelly” is a bee product that, unlike regular honey, is an actual secretion of the bee. Some Poskim therefore rule that it is not included in the permitted category of “honey”, and it should be avoided.
- The frozen Rainbow Trout fish heads now being sold at Superior Kosher Meats are completely fresh water raised, and do not need to be checked for lice.
- Rainbow Trout from Norway are heavily infested, and require thorough cleaning and checking [see below].
The following is from New Square Kashrus Council:
- White fish:White fish heads are free of infestation concern.
- Salmon/Baby salmon:Salmon heads [even farm raised] are commonly infested with salmon lice (small brownish parasites ranging in size from approximately 1-3 cm).
- The entire gills must be removed. (It may be easier to first cut the head in half before cleaning).
- Rinse the head thoroughly with water while rubbing all surfaces of the head (inside and outside), including all cracks, crevices and folds, and under and around the tongue. Inspect the head to make sure it is clean.
One who wants to avoid the checking process may just rinse the head and cook the head in a separate pot, take a small piece from the flesh of the head, and visually inspect it before eating to make sure there is no foreign object on it.
- Carp:Carp heads may be infested with very small transparent insects called Argulus that are very hard to detect. There is no known method to clean infested carp heads properly, and they should not be used unless checked by an expert.
BLACK EYED PEAS are often infested and require careful checking. The following is based on the Star-K procedure for checking dried, canned or frozen black eyed peas, and applies even if the product bears Kashrus certification. (Note: All canned peas and beans always require Kashrus certification, for general Kashrus concerns.)
- Dried black eyed peas should first be put in a pot with an ample amount of water (about 3 times the volume of the peas), bring them to a boil, then turn off the flame and allow the peas to soak in the water for 2-3 hours. The peas will swell and the peelwill become translucent. Then check as below.
- Canned or frozen black eyed peas may be checked straight out of the can/bag; there is no need to boil or soak.
- To check (all types): Take the black eyed peas and inspect for holes or dark-colored stains, as this may indicate an insect beneath the thin peel. If there is a dark spot on the peel, remove the thin skin and check if there is a cavity with a bug in it. (The black “eye” spot is not a sign of infestation. Similarly, orange colored stains on the surface are not signs of infestation; only dark or black stains are of concern.)
[Note: For those who prefer not to rely on checking, some Poskim advise that the Rosh Hashana simanim custom can be fulfilled without eating the item, by placing it on the table and looking at it.]
We Wish All a K’siva v’Chasima Tova
OREO SANDWICH COOKIES: The following is an updated list from the OU of Oreo OU-D cookies that are Dairy Equipment. Cookies on this list may be consumed after meat and poultry, but not simultaneously. (New varieties are in bold.)
“At the present time the following Oreo Sandwich Cookies do not contain dairy ingredients, although they are manufactured on dairy equipment:
• Oreo Basecake Cookie Crumbs
• Oreo Brookie-O Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Caramel Coconut Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Chocolate Marshmallow Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Cinnamon Bun Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Dark Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Double Stuf Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Gluten Free Double Stuf Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Gluten Free Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Golden Double Stuf Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Golden Mega Stuf Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Golden Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Hazelnut Creme Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Java Chip Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Lemon Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Maple Cream Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Mini Original Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Mint Creme Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Original Mega Stuf Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Original Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Red, White & Blue Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo S’mores Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Thins Latte Creme Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Thins Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Tiramisu Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Triple Double Sandwich Cookies
• Oreo Winter Edition Sandwich Cookies
Please bear in mind that the manufacturer may choose in the future to reformulate these products and add dairy ingredients. Since these products already bear OUD symbols, formulation changes would not be reflected in the OUD logo. As such, we recommend that consumers check regularly with our [OU] office to confirm the status of these items.”
NEW SLURPEE SYRUPS: [This information is for the benefit of Kashrus Supervisors and consumers who inspect (with permission of store management) the labels on the 2.5 / 5 gal. bag-in-boxes of syrups in the back of the store, which feed the Slurpee machines. The flavor cards posted on the Slurpee machines in front cannot be relied upon to determine the Kosher status of the Slurpee, because they often do not correspond with the brand and variety of the syrup that is actually feeding the machine.]
The following new Slurpee FCB syrups are Kosher and pareve.
• VITAMINWATER ZERO SUGAR GUTSY FCB (no symbol required) • VITAMINWATER XXX FCB (no symbol required)
V8 ORIGINAL 100% VEGETABLE JUICE in bottles (12, 32, 46 and 64 oz. sizes), and in 5.5 and 11.5 oz. cans, is OU certified and bears the OU symbol on the back. However, the 46 oz. can is not certified and does not bear an OU.
FERRERO PECANS from IL NUTS/ YOSSEF ROASTING mistakenly lists milk chocolate in the ingredients. This product is pareve.
CHOCOLATE WORKS S’MORES from 5th Avenue Chocolatiere, Freeport, NY, is certified as dairy by the cRc, but mistakenly does not bear the dairy designation.
NATURAL EARTH TOASTED YAKI SUSHI NORI in .70 oz. packages with an expiration code of Feb 11 2022 was incorrectly labeled with a Star-K symbol. This lot was not checked and is not certified. Other lots of Natural Earth Nori are certified when bearing the Star-K symbol.
CHOCOA CRISP STRAWBERRY CHOCOLATE DECOR PEARLS from Chef’s Warehouse bears an unauthorized OU symbol on some packages. If you see this product in the marketplace, please provide details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“NO NAME” FRUIT SALAD IN FRUIT JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, sold in Canada, bears an unauthorized COR symbol. This product is not Kosher, even when bearing the COR 1 symbol.
LIFE SMART FRUIT COCKTAIL WITH CHERRIES, distributed by Metro Brands and sold in Canada, bears an unauthorized Star-K symbol.
NO LONGER STAR-K/STAR-D CERTIFIED: Effective July 1, 2021, the following brands (listed by Brand name/Company name) are no longer certified by either Star-K or Star-D, even when bearing the Star-K or Star-D symbol:
• Aunt Gussie’s / Aunt Gussie’s Cookies and Crackers
• B.A.D. Foods / B.A.D. Foods Company
• Barely Bread / Barely Bread
• BudiBar / Budi Brands
• Early Bird Foods / Aunt Gussie’s Cookies and Crackers
• Ella’s / Aunt Gussie’s Cookies and Crackers
• Real Cookies / Get Real Foods
• Naked Granola / Naked Granola, Cookie Division
• Naked Whey / Naked Nutrition
• Black’s Family Ket’Oh Bites / Poppy Industries, Canada
McCORMICK / FRANK’S RECALL: McCormick Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning (1.31 and 2.25 oz.), McCormick Culinary Italian Seasoning (1.75 lb.), and Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Ranch Seasoning (153g, sold in Canada) with specific Best By dates have been recalled due to possible contamination with Salmonella. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/voluntary-recall-notice-mccormick-italian-seasoning-products-and-franks-redhot-buffalo-ranch or 800-635-2867.
RITA’S ITALIAN ICE & FROZEN CUSTARD OF FARMINGTON HILLS at 11 Mile & Middlebelt is now under supervision of the Vaad Harabbonim / Council of Orthodox Rabbis of Greater Detroit, as Dairy non-Cholov Yisroel. Many flavors of the Italian Ices contain only pareve ingredients, but may contain traces of dairy; a list is posted at the store. Cream Ices are Dairy.
ICE CREAM and FROZEN YOGURT STORES often claim that they are Kosher and may post Kosher certification letters, which leads consumers to believe that the store and its products are under supervision. In fact, in most cases, the letters refer only to specific products or ingredients which are factory produced under supervision, and are certified only when in their original sealed packaging bearing Kosher marking. Once the unsupervised store opens the packaging, the certification is no longer valid. Unless the consumer verifies that there is actual on-site reliable Rabbinical supervision of the entire individual retail store, no ice cream, yogurt, syrups or toppings should be considered Kosher except for those in their original sealed containers bearing a reliable Kosher certification.
The following are some stores in our area that are not under supervision: Clark’s Ice Cream and Yogurt, Haagen-Dazs, Menchie’s, Oberweis, and TCBY.
It is always preferable to buy at fully supervised stores. Locally, soft serve Cholov Yisroel ice cream is available at Jerusalem Pizza. Hard pack Cholov Yisroel ice cream is available at Spreads Bagels & Café. Hard pack non-Cholov Yisroel ice cream and yogurt is available at Baskin-Robbins/Dunkin’ Donuts at 10 Mile & Greenfield in Oak Park (which is K-COR certified for all products). Packaged Cholov Yisroel ice cream is available at The Grove Kosher Market.
If it is necessary to purchase hard pack ice cream or yogurt from an unsupervised store, the consumer should request and see a sealed container before it is opened, and check for the Kosher certification mark on the container. In addition, the scoop should be thoroughly washed.
Soft serve ice cream or yogurt should not be purchased from an unsupervised store, because of the inability to verify that Kosher mix was put into the machine.
New SUNKIST BERRY LEMONADE SODA is Kosher, and does not require a Kashrus symbol.
KORDAS’ BREADS, ROLLS, and BUNS from METROPOLITAN BAKING CO. bearing the K-COR symbol are Pas Yisroel, except for Pita Bread which is not Pas Yisroel.
KRONOS makes Pas Yisroel PITA BREAD and FLAT BREAD with “cRc Pas Yisroel” marking. The cRc has learned that for several weeks beginning in mid-March, some varieties of these products did not meet Pas Yisroel standards. The issue has been corrected, and fresh products being sold at this time are Pas Yisroel when bearing the cRc Pas Yisroel marking. If you have older products in your freezer, you can determine if they were from those problematic batches by checking the date codes. See details on the cRc website at https://www.crcweb.org/alerts.php (or call the Vaad Harabbonim Kashrus Information Line 248-559-5005 #103).
THE CHODOSH SEASON is approaching. Those who want to purchase Yoshon items to store over the Chodosh season should prepare to do so. Please note that all grain and flour products that will be stored should be refrigerated to avoid insect infestation.
NORI SHEETS FROM CHINA – REVISED KOF-K ALERT: Recently, possibly due to the current shortage, several brands of Nori sheets have been circulating with unauthorized Kof-K symbols. The Kof-K does not certify any Nori produced in China. The following brands are the only Nori sheets that Kof-K currently certifies:
• D’allesandro brand from Woodland Foods • Yamamotoyama
HEALTH GARDEN COCONUT SUGAR: New Square Kashrus Council has announced that the last shipment of this product was been found to be infested, and that consumers should refrain from using this product until further notice.
THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS CONTAIN DAIRY INGREDIENTS AND ARE CERTIFIED DAIRY, BUT MISTAKENLY DO NOT BEAR A “D” NEXT TO THEIR RESPECTIVE KASHRUS SYMBOLS:
• WELLSLEY FARMS MINI CRISPY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES sold at BJ’s [OU]
• BAZZINI DARK CHOCOLATE PECANS [OU]
• SOFT BAKED CLASSIC COOKIE DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP (3 oz.) from Mannon Specialty Foods [cRc]
ELECARE and ELECARE JR. AMINO ACID-BASED POWDER INFANT FORMULA / NUTRITION POWDER hypoallergenic formulas do not bear a Kashrus symbol, but are in fact certified OU DE (made with pareve ingredients, on dairy equipment).
JULIAN’S RECIPE BRUSSELS STYLE PALEO BELGIAN WAFELS, in ORIGINAL and MATCHA flavors, mistakenly bear a plain OK symbol. These products were made with pareve ingredients on dairy equipment.
SSIPS PASSION FRUIT DRINK will no longer be OU certified due to a change in ingredients, and will not bear the OU symbol. Containers still bearing the OU were made before this change. Check each container carefully.
BOTTICELLI BALSAMIC VINEGAR bears an unauthorized OU. This product is not OU certified.
RONZA LOLLIPOPS bears a forged certification of the Edah HaChareidis of Yerushalayim.
THE NUTMEG SPICE COMPANY – REVISED OU ALERT: The following products produced by The Nutmeg Spice Co. bear an unauthorized OU: Carne Assada Seasoning, Burgundy Wine Marinade, French Onion Dip Mix, and Saffron Rice Seasoning.
These products are labeled under several brand names, including brands of some Kosher food stores and distributors. Every label with the unauthorized OU symbol also states (usually on the back) that the product is from The Nutmeg Spice Company.
CUSTOM SEASONINGS of Gloucester, MA is no longer KVH certified, due to Kashrus violations. All products, even when bearing the KVH symbol, are unauthorized, and the company’s KVH Kashrus certificates are no longer valid.
IMPORTANT: ACE BAKERY / WESTON FOODS FROZEN PAR-BAKED GOODS are produced as Kosher with KSA certification, and bear the KSA symbol on their original bulk boxes. These bulk items are then distributed to in-store bakeries, which bake them and insert the breads into white bags, which are supplied along with the par-baked items. Inadvertently, some of these bags were imprinted with the KSA symbol. Please be aware that only Ace Bakery / Weston Foods baked goods in their original factory sealed bulk boxes bearing the KSA symbol are KSA certified. Once the products are baked in a non-certified in-store bakery, they cannot be considered Kosher, despite the mistaken KSA symbol on the bags. → THESE MISLABELED BREADS ARE NOW BEING SOLD LOCALLY AT MEIJER, AND AT OTHER LOCATIONS IN MICHIGAN AND ILLINOIS.
AHA SPARKLING WATER in all varieties is OU certified, and bears the OU symbol on the can.
BUBLY brand SPARKLING WATER in all flavors is Kosher and does not require Kosher marking.
New PEPSI BLUE is Kosher, and does not require a Kashrus symbol.
SKINNY POP KETTLE CORN POPCORN’s new variety pack contains the varieties Sweet Vanilla, Sweet & Salty, and Cinnamon & Sugar Kettle Corn, and bears the cRc and OU symbols on the outer box. On some of the inner bags the Kosher symbol was omitted, but they are nevertheless certified Kosher and pareve.
PLANET OAT OATMILK in 52 oz. refrigerated containers bears an OU-D on all varieties, but in fact their actual status is DE [dairy equipment], and they may be eaten after, but not with, meat.
BAKE SHOP BAKERY 7 LAYER DESSERT BAR, sold at Aldi stores in the U.S., was mistakenly labeled with a plain COR [Canada] symbol. This product contains dairy ingredients and is certified dairy.
TUSCAN GARDEN ALL PURPOSE RANCH SEASONING sold at Aldi mistakenly bears a plain OU without a D on some containers. This product contains dairy ingredients and is certified dairy.
BOWL & BASKET NON-STICK COOKING SPRAY GHEE mistakenly bears a plain OU without a D on some cans. This product contains dairy ingredients and is certified dairy. [“Ghee” = clarified butter.]
GLORY FOODS CANDIED YAMS – SEASONED SOUTHERN STYLE mistakenly bears a Star-K symbol. This product contains dairy ingredients and should have been labeled Star-D. It is certified Kosher dairy, non-Cholov Yisroel.
SUNGLO POPCORN SEASONINGS in the following varieties – Buttery, Jalapeno, Nacho Cheese, Ranch and White Cheddar – were mistakenly labeled with a plain OVK symbol. These products contain milk powder and are certified dairy.
LIEBER’S MINI, TINY DILL GHERKINS UPDATE: Rabbi M. Weissmandl issued an updated notice on 5/10/21 regarding both Lieber’s Mini Dill Gherkins and Lieber’s Tiny Dill Gherkins, that they were found to be infested and should not be used until further notice (regardless of their lot numbers).
SWEET CITY brand NORI SHEETS with the lot codes listed below have been recalled due to infestation concerns, and must be checked before using, even when bearing the Star-K symbol. All other lot codes remain certified. Lot Codes (printed on the bottom of each bag): 50824,50924,51024,51124,51424,51524,51624,51724,51824,52124,52224,52324.
INSPIRED ORGANICS brand ORGANIC CUT SPINACH and ORGANIC STRAWBERRIES bear an unauthorized cRc symbol. These products are not certified.
KRASDALE FROZEN CUT LEAF SPINACH bears an unauthorized KVH symbol. This product is not certified.
VOSS WATER + COLLAGEN bears an unauthorized OU symbol on some bottles. This product is not OU certified.
TAMMY’S KITCHEN CHICKEN CACCIATORE was mistakenly labeled with a Kof-K symbol. This product contains non-Kosher white wine and is not certified Kosher.
FIRST STREET PARMESAN CHEESE PACKETS (a foodservice item) bears an unauthorized OU-D symbol on some labels. This product is not OU certified.
ICE CREAM & SHERBET RECALL: Velvet Ice Cream has announced a recall of all of its ice cream and sherbet products made on or after March 24, 2021 as a precaution, because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. This includes specific products under the following brands: VELVET, SUPER DIP, NORTH STAR, BUEHLER’S, RUGGLES, WHALE OF A PAIL, and DISCOUNT DRUG MART. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/velvet-ice-cream-recalls-various-products-due-possible-listeria-risk
or 800-589-5000 x237.
LIEBER’S MINI, TINY DILL GHERKINS UPDATE: Rabbi M. Weissmandl has informed us as of 5/6/21 regarding all jars of both Lieber’s Mini Dill Gherkins and Lieber’s Tiny Dill Gherkins, regardless of their lot numbers, that it is recommended that they not be used unless the consumer splits each gherkin lengthwise and inspects for long, easily visible worms.
BONE SUCKIN’ SAUCES normally bear an OU symbol. However, some non-certified jars of regular and Thicker Style varieties not bearing an OU were recently mistakenly sold at The Grove [One Stop]. Check each jar for the OU symbol.
SEASON SARDINES: As previously posted, due to Covid-19 work and travel restrictions, some Season Sardines, Sprats and Kipper Snacks products were produced as non-Kosher and do not bear an OU symbol. Some cans of Season Brisling Sardines – Product of Latvia with no OU may mistakenly have been sold in the
recent past at The Grove [One Stop]. Check every can for the OU symbol.
SLICE OF HEAVEN artisanal baked goods [347-452-7016] is now under supervision of the Vaad Harabbonim / Council of Orthodox Rabbis of Greater Detroit, and is certified Pareve and Pas Yisroel.
New COCA-COLA WITH COFFEE in Dark Blend, Vanilla and Caramel flavors, and COCA-COLA WITH COFFEE ZERO SUGAR in Dark Blend and Vanilla flavors, are OU certified and bear the OU symbol engraved into the top lid of the can.
New PEPSI MANGO and PEPSI MANGO ZERO SUGAR are Kosher, and do not require a Kashrus symbol.
New DR. PEPPER ZERO SUGAR in original, Cherry and “& Cream Soda” flavors is Kosher, and does not require a Kashrus symbol.
TRADER JOE’S RESTAURANT STYLE WHITE CORN TORTILLA CHIPS in a 9 oz. bag – OU Pareve, mistakenly contains Kosher dairy cheese puffs in some bags with Sell By dates of 08/09/21, 08/10/21, and 08/11/21. These bags have been recalled. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/snak-king-corporation-issues-allergy- alert-undeclared-milk-allergen-trader-joes-restaurant-style or 626-363-7711.
WILTON SWEET CENTERS CARAMEL TREAT FILLING contains dairy ingredients, as listed in the ingredient statement, but mistakenly bears a plain OU without a D.
HODGSON MILL WHOLE WHEAT INSTA-BAKE BAKING MIX contains dairy ingredients, as listed in the ingredient statement, but mistakenly bears a plain OU without a D on some boxes.
CAMILLE BLOCH SWISS MILK CHOCOLATE BAR, bearing certification of Rabbi Westheim / Rabbi Landau, mistakenly says Pareve on some labels. This product is dairy, Cholov Yisroel.
New TUMS NATURALS ANTACID Black Cherry & Watermelon variety contains carmine color, which is made from non-Kosher cochineal beetles, and therefore bears no Kosher marking. TUMS CHEWY BITES also contains carmine and bears no Kosher marking. Only those Tums products that bear a Kosher symbol are acceptable. Most state Pareve beneath the symbol; however, TUMS CHEWY DELIGHTS contains milk and is marked as Dairy.
BIG C PREMIUM SELECT – SEASONED Frozen French Fried Potatoes and BIG C PREMIUM SELECT – ZESTY SEASONED Extra Crispy Batter Coated Frozen French Fried Potatoes, sold at Restaurant Depot /Jetro Cash & Carry, do not bear an OU currently, in contrast to most other Big C French Fried Potatoes products that generally do bear an OU. Check every case for Kosher marking.
LIGHTLIFE FOODS PRODUCTS: Due to changes in production, the following Lightlife Foods Meatless products are no longer Kosher: Lightlife Smart Tenders Savory Chick’n, and Lightlife Smart Menu Veggie Meatballs. New packaging does not bear the OK symbol. Any remaining product bearing the OK symbol is certified.
CARAMEL CAPPUCCINO DRINK MIX by LIDL, distributed by LIDL US, LLC, bears an unauthorized cRc symbol.
SHNEIDER’S MA PURÉE MASHED POTATOES with Lot # L185597 has been recalled because some packages may contain non-Kosher dairy mashed potatoes. Product with this lot number should not be used.
SABRA CLASSIC HUMMUS 10 oz. with a “Best Before” date of 4/26/21 has been recalled because it is potentially contaminated with Salmonella. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/sabra-dipping-company-issues-limited-voluntary-recall-single-sku-classic-hummus or 866-265-6761.
REAL WATER brand ALKALIZED DRINKING WATER and WATER CONCENTRATE in all sizes have been recalled because they may be linked to certain instances of non-viral hepatitis. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls- market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/real-water-inc-issues-precautionary-recall-all-sizes-real-water-brand-drinking-water-due- possible?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery#recall-announcement or 702-310-5437.
LA FE frozen PEPPERS & ONIONS bearing Lot # KR043021 has been recalled due to the probable presence of small pieces of blue plastic in the product. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/gk-foods- usa-announces-voluntary-recall-batch-la-fe-peppers-and-onions or 201.329.6260 ext. 5137.
LIFETIME PRODUCTS 6-FOOT SEMINAR TABLE Model #80176 has been recalled because the brace arms can fail to lock the table legs into place and the table can collapse, posing an injury risk. Details are available at https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2021/lifetime-products-recalls-6-foot-seminar-tables-due-to-injury-risk or 800-292-3865.
J&J WHIPPED COTTAGE CHEESE in 16 oz. containers with a Best If Used By date of 04/18/21, and J&J SOUR CREAM in 16 oz. containers with a Best If Used By date of 05/05/21, were produced during a special Pesach production. Some of these containers inadvertently do not have Pesach marking, but they are nevertheless Kosher for Pesach.
YODER’S ORANGE JUICE in 52 oz. bottles with a plain OU, that have the letters KFP in the ink jet code on the bottle below the Best By date, are Kosher for Pesach.
Some 16 oz. containers of NATURAL & KOSHER ITALIAN COLLECTION RICOTTA CHEESE with a plain OK-D and no Pesach marking were mistakenly placed in the Pesach section at The Grove [One Stop] for a short time. These containers are not Kosher for Pesach. Please check every container.
SHNEIDER’S MA PUREE MASHED POTATOES with Lot # L185597 is marked as Pareve and Kosher for Pesach, but has been recalled because some packages may contain non-Kosher dairy mashed potatoes. This product with the above lot number should not be used.
THE GROVE [ONE STOP] PRE-CHECKED ROMAINE LETTUCE will be produced specially for Pesach later this week (not before Wednesday), and requires special Pesach marking.
HAIN IODIZED SEA SALT, made in Belgium, was mistakenly in the Pesach section at The Grove [One Stop] for a short time. This product contains dextrose which may be chometz. (In Europe, dextrose is produced mainly from wheat fermentation.)
BROWN SUGAR requires Pesach certification or Pesach approval. Brown sugar that bears the Vaad Harabbonim’s K-COR symbol, such as Big Chief and Pioneer brands, is not acceptable for Pesach. Other brands in the Michigan area that bear the K-COR symbol, such as Kroger and Baker’s Corner [Aldi] brands, are also not acceptable for Pesach. The listing of these two brands on page 74 of the OU Pesach Guide refers only to Kroger and Baker’s Corner brands in areas where they bear an OU symbol.
RAW PASTEURIZED ALMONDS, including whole, sliced or slivered (but not blanched, and not ground), that are commercially packaged and do not list any additives or preservatives, are acceptable for Pesach, unless the label states that wheat is present in the same facility.
MA COHEN’S CREAMED FILLET OF HERRING – OU-D that bears Pesach marking (either OU-P or “Kosher for Passover” in a circle below the OU), and the date FEB 22 or FEB 24 stamped on the label, is Cholov Yisroel in all sizes, although the labels do not state Cholov Yisroel. This is a one-time event; no other productions are or will be Cholov Yisroel.
SEVENTH GENERATION DISH LIQUID – OU is acceptable for Pesach without Pesach marking, and is also available in a “Free & Clear” variety, that is ideal for those looking for a fruit / vegetable wash for Pesach with no dyes or fragrances.
BABY / CHILDREN PRODUCTS:. For the convenience of our readers, we list here a summary of some commonly used Baby / Children products approved for Pesach by Rabbi Bess and Star-K or other reliable sources:
Advil Children’s Junior Strength Coated Tablets
Bayer Children’s Aspirin
Benadryl Children’s Allergy liquid and Dye-Free liquid – all flavors
Benadryl Children’s Allergy chewable tablets – Grape
Motrin Children’s Suspension – all flavors
Motrin Infants’ Drops – all flavors
Sudafed PE Children’s Nasal Decongestant – Berry
Sudafed PE Children’s Cold & Cough – Grape
Tylenol Children’s Suspension – all flavors
Tylenol Infants’ Suspension – all flavors
Remember – check every label for Pesach certification!
We wish all our readers a Chag Kosher V’Sameach
The Vaad Harabbonim presents the online PesachGram.
The PesachGram may take a moment to load and appear. Click on the bottom icon on left of frame for fullscreen.
A PDF version of the PesachGram is also available for view and download:
KEMACH SANDWICH COOKIES (all varieties) that were produced in 2021 are Chodosh, not Yoshon, even if the package states Yoshon. These can be identified by the number 21 at the end of the date code (e.g. 032 21).
ENFAMIL PROSOBEE SOY INFANT FORMULA POWDER has changed from OU Pareve to OU Dairy Equipment.
ORGANIC BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS from Z NATURAL FOODS is certified by EarthKosher as Dairy Equipment. Some labels are inadvertently missing the DE designation.
QUAKER BANANAS & CREAM INSTANT OATMEAL sold in Canada was incorrectly labelled without a Dairy designation. This product is certified COR Dairy.
WISE SALSA (sauces) – all varieties: The OU certified many varieties of Wise Salsas. Due to changes at Wise Foods, the OU can no longer certify them, and new jars will not bear the OU symbol. Jars that still bear the OU symbol are certified. Check each jar.
FOOD CLUB RICE MEDLEY WITH HERBS is not OU certified. Some boxes bear an unauthorized OU symbol. If you see this product in the marketplace, please provide details to email@example.com.
‘100% ORGANIC GLYCERINE’ being sold by ARYAN INTERNATIONAL of Greater Noida, UP, India, with only a Star-K symbol on the label is not authorized. Glycerin from Aryan International is required to display the Rabbi’s Hebrew signature in addition to the Star-K symbol, in order to be certified.
WILTON SPRINKLES RECALL: Wilton Brands has announced a national recall of all lots of six sprinkles products and one kit containing affected sprinkles, because they may contain undeclared milk. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of serious allergic reaction if they consume these products.
Details are available at www.wilton.com/recall or 800-794-5866.
PRE-PESACH SHOPPING ADVICE
KIRKLAND SIGNATURE BLANCHED ALMOND FLOUR at Costco: Some bags bear a Kof-K Pareve symbol (without Pesach marking), and some bags bear a K type symbol with the words “Certified for Passover”. Both types may be used for Pesach.
BLUE DIAMOND ALMOND FLOUR with a plain OK symbol may be used for Pesach.
GEFEN COCONUT MILK is certified by both the Volover Rav, Rabbi N.E. Teitelbaum, and the OU. The Volover Rav has issued a notice that all Gefen Coconut Milk (Sweetened and Unsweetened) is not Kosher for Pesach, despite the “Kosher for Pesach” print on the label. The OU maintains that this product is acceptable for use on
Pesach when bearing Pesach marking.
GREAT VALUE CONFECTIONERS POWDERED SUGAR (Walmart): Some on-line pictures of this product mistakenly show a UMK-P symbol. This contains corn starch and is not Kosher for Pesach. The actual product does not bear Pesach marking.
New MOUNTAIN DEW MAJOR MELON SODA, in regular and Zero Sugar varieties, is Kosher in the USA, Canada and Mexico, even without any Kashrus symbol.
KIRKLAND SIGNATURE SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS in the white bag [“51% Cacao, Real Vanilla”, Costco Item #807473], which bears OU-D and does not list any dairy ingredients, was originally only dairy equipment. According to the OU, this status changed during 2020 to actual dairy ingredients, and any product purchased since March 2020 should be considered actual dairy. [Note: This product is being phased out, and is replaced by Costco Item #1331846 in a red bag, which bears OU-D and lists milkfat.]
HIDDEN VALLEY ORIGINAL RANCH SEASONING & SALAD DRESSING MIX in an 8 oz. shaker container contains buttermilk and is certified OU Dairy. Some older containers that may still be found in stores mistakenly bear only a plain OU without the D. Newer containers have been corrected and bear OU-D.
MILANO GIANT LADY FINGERS BISCUITS was incorrectly labeled with a COR DE [dairy equipment] symbol. This product is actually dairy and certified Kosher by COR [Toronto].
LOTUS FOODS HEAT & EAT RICE POUCHES
Scroll K [Denver] certification is being discontinued for the following three Lotus Foods Heat & Eat Rice products which are pre-cooked and sold in pouches:
• Organic White Jasmine & Forbidden Rice Blend Heat & Eat Pouch
• Organic White Jasmine Rice Heat & Eat Pouch
• Organic Brown Jasmine Rice Heat & Eat Pouch
Products that still bear the Scroll K symbol on the pouch are Kosher certified. Kosher certification of Lotus Foods raw rice products will continue.
DON ANECIO brand BALSAMIC VINEGAR and DON ANECIO BALSAMIC VINEGAR GLAZE are sold in the U.S. in retail and bulk packaging, and bear an unauthorized KLBD [London Beth Din] Kosher symbol. These are grape wine based products and are not Kosher. The KLBD symbol on the Don Anecio website is misleading.
AURORA TARALLI BARESI breadsticks in Plain, Black Pepper, Chilli Pepper and Fennel varieties bear an unauthorized MK [Montreal] symbol. In addition, these products have been marked Pareve when they are in fact Dairy.
FORRELLI ARTICHOKES (Allied International Corp.) bear an unauthorized OK symbol.
WEIS QUALITY COOKIES AND CREAM ICE CREAM in 48- ounce containers, with a UPC of 041497-01253 and with a sell by date of 10/28/21, has been recalled because the product may contain extraneous material, specifically metal filling equipment parts. More information is available at 866-999-9347.
LAKE CHAMPLAIN CHOCOLATES has recalled the following milk chocolate products, with specific Best By dates, due to potential foreign objects, specifically brittle plastic pieces.
• Hazelnut Five Star Bar
• Fruit & Nut Five Star Bar
• Almond Five Star Bar
• Granola Five Star Bar
• Organic Milk Chocolate Bar with Sea Salt & Almonds
• Milk Chocolate Almond Bark
• Chocolates of Vermont Green Mountain
These products can be found within a variety of other gift packages, boxes and baskets. Details are available at https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/potential-foreign-object-recall-lake-champlain-chocolates-issues-voluntary-recall-selected-milk or email firstname.lastname@example.org
BELL PEPPERS FROM ISRAEL (red, yellow and orange) are now being sold in U.S. stores, and require taking of Terumos and Maaseros. They are being sold locally at Kroger, Meijer, Aldi and other stores. The brands include Gilad, Sunset, Kroger and others, both regular and organic. Consumers should carefully check the fine print on the package, and the sticker on individual peppers, for the country of origin.
Often the same brand has some peppers from Israel and some from other locations, so each individual package or pepper should be checked. Details of the tithing procedure can be found (courtesy of cRc Chicago) at https://www.crcweb.org/kosher_articles/Terumah_Maaser_Separation_(Dec%202016).pdf
Some additional examples of Israeli produce commonly found in the U.S. include tomatoes, carrots, citrus fruit (oranges, grapefruit, lemons, mandarins, clementines and pomelos), persimmons (“Sharon Fruit”), pomegranates, mangos, dates, dill and parsley. Check the sticker, bag label or original case for the country of origin.
EARTH KOSHER [Rabbi Sholom H. Adler] is an acceptable certification.
ORE-IDA POTATO PRODUCTS: Many, but not all, Ore-Ida frozen potato products are OU certified. Check each product for the OU symbol.
BROWNBERRY STUFFING: Most Brownberry Stuffing is no longer OU certified and does not bear the OU symbol.
HARIBO GUMMI CANDY in the general market contains animal gelatin and is not Kosher. Only special productions that state Distributed by Paskesz, with prominent Kosher marking from Rabbi O.Y. Westheim / Rabbi Shulem Landau printed on the front and back of the package, are Kosher, and are made with Kosher fish gelatin. Some packages found in Israel, and possibly other locations, have a sticker on the back stating in Hebrew “Kosher certified by Chug HaRambam of France”. This product is not Kosher and the sticker is fraudulent. It was applied without Haribo’s knowledge or approval.
Some ARTICHOKE HUMMUS PRODUCTS under the following brands bear an unauthorized KVH symbol; they are not certified: Cedar’s, Shop-Rite Supermarket, Joseph’s, Simply Enjoy, Sprouts Farmers Market, Green Way, Little Salad Bar [Aldi], Wellsley Farms [BJs], Lidl US, Price Chopper.
ENLIGHTENED brand DOUGH BITES, distributed by Beyond Better Foods, are missing the “Dairy” designation from their cRc symbol. These products contain dairy ingredients, as indicated on their ingredient panel. The following products are mislabeled:
Birthday Cake Cookie Dough Bites
Fudge Brownie Dough Bites
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites
Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough Bites