2023-2-2 KosherGram PDF
THE FOLLOWING NEW SODAS ARE KOSHER even without any Kashrus symbol, in both regular and Zero Sugar:
- STARRY LEMON LIME from Pepsi
- MOUNTAIN DEW PITCH BLACK soda [Limited Edition]. (See below regarding Pitch Black Energy.)
- MOUNTAIN DEW VooDEW 2022 MYSTERY FLAVOR [Limited Edition]
New MOUNTAIN DEW ENERGY PITCH BLACK ENERGY DRINK [Limited Edition] contains grape juice, and is acceptable only when bearing a K or a recognized Kosher symbol, or when bearing the letters XG in the middle of the second line of the inkjet code on bottom of the can. This also applies to other flavors of Mountain Dew Energy and to Mountain Dew Kickstart drinks, which contain grape juice.
ONLINE SHOPPING REMINDER: When shopping online for grocery delivery or curbside pickup, always check the actual label on each item when the order is received. This is essential because many online descriptions or pictures give inaccurate or outdated information regarding the product’s Kosher status. In addition, the store may substitute non-Kosher or non-approved products if the requested item is not available.
One recent example: Great Value [Walmart] regular Tomato Ketchup is pictured online with an OU symbol, but the actual product in the store and that is delivered does not bear an OU.
THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS LABELED WITH A D ARE MADE ON DAIRY EQUIPMENT (“DE”), and may be eaten after meat but not together with meat:
- NABISCO PREMIUM SALTINES – OU-D – all varieties. [Credit to Kashrut.com]
- TRADER JOE’S HOT CHOCOLATE STICKS – DARK CHOCOLATE – OU-D
- PAMELA’S WHENEVER BARS – Blueberry Lemon, Cranberry Almond, Raisin Walnut & Spice – OU-D. (Note: Some packages mistakenly bear a plain OU without the D.)
- CHOCOLOVE DARK CHOCOLATE BARS – Scroll K -Dairy – Those varieties that do not list dairy ingredients [check for butter oil or cream] should be considered DE.
TALENTI GELATO AND SORBETTO FROZEN DESSERT PRODUCTS, which were previously certified by the OU, are now certified by the Kof-K. (The company is using up old packaging with the OU-D.) The Kof-K is certifying many Talenti Dairy-Free Sorbetto products as DE; see Kof-K certificate at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WYx7IMTJN4dYNPW99A9WG8K1PqiOM683/view?usp=drivesdk . [Credit also to Kashrut.com] However, note that Dairy-Free Sorbetto Layers Coconut Chocolate Cookie is certified Dairy, not DE.
TUMS PRODUCTS UPDATE:
- Only those Tums products that bear a Kosher symbol are acceptable. Most of the certified products bear a Diamond K Pareve symbol; however, Tums Chewy Delights contains milk and is marked as Diamond-K-D Dairy.
- Some containers of Tums Assorted Berries Extra Strength 750, Tums Assorted Fruit Extra Strength 750, and Tums Peppermint Ultra Strength 1000 are made by non-certified manufacturers and do not bear a Kosher symbol. Check each container.
- Tums Naturals Black Cherry & Watermelon variety contains carmine color, which is made from non-Kosher cochineal beetles, and therefore bears no Kosher marking.
- Tums Chewy Bites are not certified and bear no Kosher marking.
RICOLA COUGH / THROAT DROPS: Only the following varieties are recommended by the cRc (Chicago Rabbinical Council). They do not require a certification sticker: Original (Natural) Herb, Honey Herb and Lemon Mint – regular and Sugar Free.
SIMPLY NATURE CREAMY ALMOND BUTTER sold at Aldi is being produced by two different suppliers, one OU certified and one not. This sometime results in a mixture on the store shelf, of some jars with an OU and some without. Check each jar.
GREENFIELD NOODLE CO. has exhausted its stock of Yoshon flour. New product will use Chodosh flour and will not state “Yoshon” next to the expiration date. Product that still states Yoshon is Yoshon.
JIM BEAM BARBECUE SAUCES – Original Barbecue, Maple Bourbon, and Smoky Barrel – are no longer certified Kosher due to a processing change, and will no longer bear a Kof-K. Products produced before January 6, 2023 bearing the Kof-K symbol are approved.
FOOD FOR LIFE EZEKIEL 4:9 CINNAMON RAISIN CEREAL: The Kof-K has temporarily withdrawn its certification of this product, even when bearing the Kof-K symbol, due to a Kashrus issue that is being investigated. The Kof-K will issue a notice when it is once again certified.
SUN-MAID VANILLA YOGURT COVERED RAISINS MINI-SNACKS (5 oz. bag containing 10 – .5 oz. mini boxes) mistakenly bears an OK-P symbol on the boxes. This product is certified Kosher and Dairy, but is not certified for Pesach. The outer bag correctly states OK-D.
WEGMANS SALT & PEPPER PISTACHIOS mistakenly bears an OK-P symbol on some bags. This product is certified Kosher and Pareve, but is not certified for Pesach.
PLANTATION CANDIES of Telford, PA, under the certification of Star-K and previously under Rabbi Kaplinsky, has had its certification revoked effective immediately due to Kashrus violations. All products manufactured by Plantation Candies, even when bearing a Star-K or Rabbi Kaplinksy’s symbol (a K with the letters nun and bais inside it), should be considered NOT KOSHER.
SUPREMO ITALIANO canned ARTICHOKE HEARTS from Restaurant Depot bears an unauthorized KVH symbol.
TOP TASTE FRIED ONIONS and EASTERN FEAST FRIED ONIONS from Holland bear an unauthorized symbol of Rabbi Seckbach.
THE FOLLOWING GARDEN OF LIFE PRODUCTS, with the specified lot numbers and expiration dates, bear an unauthorized Star-K symbol and contain a non-Kosher ingredient:
MyKind Organics Women’s Multi 40+ Tablets
• Lot # 50316484, Exp. Date 10/16/2025
• Lot # 50319616, Exp. Date 10/23/2025
MyKind Organics Women’s Once Daily Tablets
• Lot # 50317709, Exp. Date 9/9/2025
• Lot # 50319618, Exp. Date 9/28/2025
• Lot # 50319619, Exp. Date 10/24/2025
FOR THE FUTURE, the following three Garden of Life products will no longer be certified and will not bear a Star-K symbol:
• MyKind Organics Women’s Multi 40+ Tablets
• MyKind Organics Women’s Once Daily Tablets
• MyKind Organics Prenatal Multi Tablets
DOMINO and C&H brands of GRANULATED SUGAR in 3.5 lb. rectangular tubs with specific lot numbers and Best By dates have been recalled due to the potential of metal wire in the product. Details are available at https://www.foodsafetynews.com/?s=domino+sugar+recall .
ZLINE 30-inch, 36-inch and 48-inch RG GAS RANGES have been recalled due to serious risk of injury or death from carbon monoxide poisoning. Details are available at ZLINE Expands Recall of Gas Ranges to Include 48-inch Gas Ranges Due to Serious Risk of Injury or Death from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | CPSC.gov or 888-359-4482.
CHILDREN’S PILLOWFORT WEIGHTED BLANKETS sold at Target have been recalled due to a risk of death by asphyxiation. Details are available at Target Recalls Children’s Pillowfort Weighted Blankets Due to Asphyxiation Hazard; Two Fatalities Reported | CPSC.gov .
FISHER-PRICE ROCK ‘N PLAY SLEEPERS RECALL REANNOUNCED due to infant deaths. Details are available at Fisher-Price Reannounces Recall of 4.7 Million Rock ‘n Play Sleepers; At Least Eight Deaths Occurred After Recall | CPSC.gov or 866-812-6518.
Kids2 ROCKING SLEEPERS RECALL REANNOUNCED due to infant deaths. Details are available at Kids2 Reannounces Recall of 694,000 Rocking Sleepers; Four Additional Deaths After Recall | CPSC.gov or 866-869-7954.